SFR--Why People hate California......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Vladimir Steblina, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

This place is straight-up jacked. In the very near future, we're rollin outta here. So sick of paying for others and the Train and Delta Diversion tunnels are scheduled to flow an enormous amount of water. Can't even get into general intolerance when one has a differing opinion

Check out the State of Jefferson, it is fascinating.

2. generic

generic Justified

About 100,000 more people moved away from California in 2011 than relocated to the Golden State, according to the latest report from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The trend can be explained, in part, in monetary terms. Even in an economic boom, the cost of living in California has increased, prompting people to move out, and, in recent years, unemployment in the state has skyrocketed.

So, where are these former Californians going?

The Census Bureau calculates that the most popular destination is Texas (58,992), a state that is luring California companies. That’s followed by Arizona (49,635), Nevada (40,114), Washington (38,421) and Oregon (34,214).:eek:

3. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Naw...instead of calling it Jefferson, I think a better name would be 'State of Poverty'!

Dan Nelson likes this.
  4. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I was born and raised in San Jose, moved away for college in 1967. Have lived in WA ever since and am so glad I moved away from there! I really don't even recognize the place when I go back for a visit. If you make a decent income, top state income tax is 14%!! (on top of the top fed rate of 39%) My brother lives in San Diego and he says they pay the high taxes because living there is worth it! I can think of lots of things I would do with an extra 14% in my pocket, but I think all that sun has an adverse effect on mental function! (beside, I get all the sun I want at my Winthrop place and the sky is really blue, not California white/brown, which passes for a blue sky down there!)

FinLuver and Nooksack Mac like this.
  5. generic

generic Justified

Well, hold on to your wallet... cause Washington St. isn't too far behind California when it comes to their ideology.

FinLuver, Phil Fravel and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Ummm... I'm not so sure California is getting a little jealous.

7. James W. Haan

James W. Haan Member

Home Page:
    I've been here 25 years and I'm not leaving. Things change wherever you live so you have to adapt. I now have a gold mine in the Sierra Nevada on the N Yuba.We also have Rainbows and browns in the river.

8. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Nice! I can say that last pic you're close to the source, not much tumble in a few nuggets.

But you know what the difference is? A cali guy posts this stuff on the internet, a montana guy keeps it quite.

Old406Kid likes this.
  9. Skysoldier

Skysoldier FUBAR

You don't have to like Cailfornia, hell I don't live there any longer for a reason but for all you that see fit to name call the people of California you can go to hell and kiss mine and my families ass on your way.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The only reason I don't like that place is that there is a whole lot of shaking going on. To damn many earth quakes for me. I like the quietness of Montana and the better than average fishing.

11. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

California is a "great" place to be "from".

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  12. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

True. Actually, top CA tax rate is 11%, temporarily raised from 10%. On income of over 100K, I paid 3%, not unreasonable.

To those who think the State of Jefferson will become a reality, Dream On. If it did, it'd become another red state living on Federal dollars. Much as you may dislike some of the "Blue" parts of CA, they support the Red parts with their tax dollars.

Solar and wind projects unjustifiable? Really? I have a hard time buying that. Maybe the payback is longer, but they'll catch up and then it's free power. I work for the state and we are pushing renewable power on all agency buildings/properties where it's viable, has to have a 7 year or less ROI, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

For the Jerry Brown denigrators, name a better recent alternative. I don't agree with everything he's doing, but he's brought both sides together in ways his predecessor couldn't, balanced the budget, advocating a savings fund with surplus, etc. Sure can't think of who's done that lately.

Dan Nelson, jwg and cabezon like this.
  13. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Geez, Robert......quick comments.

On Blue versus Red States and Federal dollars.....In 1990 with the Defense "build-down" California basically kicked out the military. Much of the Red state federal spending is military spending. That is when California went from a net positive in Federal dollars to negative. Washington is one of the few blue states with major military operations. You are correct in that states with positive Federal cash flow grow faster than other states. It is more about investment in those states infrastructure by the Federal government than social services.

Solar power is not for a major industrial country. I have owned a off-grid house now for 17 years and been renting it out as a vacation rental property. So its pretty much your standard house is a spectacular setting. That said, if somebody came to me and said....we'll take your panels and hook you up to the grid I would do it in a minute. Solar and wind are very expensive for how little power they generate. Part of the reason California's ROI is seven years is power is so expensive there!!! My electric bill in Chelan County in January is $100. In California, it would be over $2,000!!!

On Jerry Brown....In Grant County, until 1980, everybody had a picture of Franklin Roosevelt in their house. I immigrated to America as a child in 1956. We moved to California in 1961. In our house, there would have been a picture of Edmund Brown Senior. California was an amazing place in the 1960's primarily due to state government. It really was a state all about opportunity. Looking back on it....if we had immigrated to California today we would be stuck in poverty not for just one generation, but probably at least two. It is a nanny state today, not a state of opportunity.

And that gets us to the drought. Political leadership. Setting of priorities. In my economics classes it was drilled into me that capital is limited. Spend it wisely. Likewise taxes are limited, spend them wisely.

California is in deep trouble on so many fronts, but the drought will make them all look small in comparison. Jerry Brown really needs to start formulating a strategy for dealing with the drought if it should run into the next couple of years. There are 17 communities in California running out of water this year.....that is serious.

California also has a "structural deficit" in its water infrastructure. They realize it, but want to destroy the Delta to solve it. Next will be the damming of the north coast rivers. In the 40 years since I left the state California has "talked" protecting the environment, but just continued to destroy millions of acres of land since that time. Thanks god, for the Forest Service and BLM lands in California. That is all that's going to left in a ecologically functioning condition.

Really I think California has reached its "carrying capacity" and really does need to address the issue of population growth.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Just a quick note, not to detract from this at all, that we are getting into the red vs blue debate. Just a way of saying dem vs rep. Remember, no political banter, unless it deals with the thread (hence the warning as of now). :)

triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I'm a big fan of America. I love that it is a large country with many different cultures. I also love that you get to live where you want. I don't begrudge someone because of where they were born or raised. That is just plain stupid.

I do have a hard time understanding people who are pround of having lived in one state or place their entire life. I truly just can't understand not wanting to experience living in different places.

Go Sox,
    cds

Dan Nelson, BakerSean1, dfl and 4 others like this.