Shad Fishing

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Slipstream 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Anybody here Shad fish?

Tie Shad flies?

Carl

#5 ·
I was recently discussing this very subject with a friend on the East Coast.
Apparently the Shad is very popular there, and one species is as endangered as our steelhead.

That said, I have heard little about fishing for them here in Washington,
although they do have a following. All that I know about them could be fit into a small hat. But apparently they run in the wider rivers, like strong current and are know to be in the Columbia. Other than that, I am in the dark. They run to some size and look like they could tear up some gear if you go undergunned.

I would appreciate any information that you wish to share. Thanks

#6 ·
Watch the counts over the dams and be there at the right time, you shouldn't have any trouble catching them. like I was saying tie small and use chartreuse or hot orange bead heads and wrap some weight, little bit of flash.
We made a detour from the klick last year and fished for them for the first time. They are a blast. Make sure your up real early tho because they are morning biters, and turn off pretty good midday. My wife cant wait to get back!

#8 ·
This was from the beach on the WA side below John Day dam. We snotted them, I dont think a boat is necessary, but im sure if you knew the fishery, a boat could help with productiveness.
I fished a switch with 8ft of t-8 on an ambush line, Full sinking line couldn't hurt.

#14 ·
Mr bugger,

It all depends on the water clarity.

If its low and clear I would use a chrome plated size #8...if its high and cardboard color, go with a #4. Just use any chrome hook with a large gap. I used to use Mustad #3908c. I think "the fly shop " in Redding still sells them, Maybe Targus sells them under there name.
If you have trouble, just message me.

Carl

#18 ·
Below McNary dam its a boat fishing scenario, with Dick nite spoons, smallest size, red and silver is best, on a leader behind a diver of some sort. You have to get them to the bottom, 10-20 feet of water

Or you can use little flashy jigs behind the diver. The diver may be a plug with the hoods removed.

Hooked into a salmon once, chased it for 45 minutes before breaking it off on the 8 lb leader and light rod.

Note that columbia shad runs crashed the last two years. don't know why

jwg

#22 ·
Back East we used to go Shad fishing in the Delaware and the Hudson river. Shad were known as "poor man's salmon". All we used were very small gold hook shad darts on light line. Largest shad I ever caught was a 12 pound buck. Love shad roe cooked up in bacon fat. The rest of the fish we either smoked on oak planks or pickled. For whatever its worth. Jackd
Photo of some typical "Back East" shad darts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.