Shooting/Target Practice upriver fron Ben Howard boat launch

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by biere.froide, Sep 1, 2013.

1. biere.froide

biere.froide New Member

Hi,

Went out today for some Spey casting practice and throw some pink flies on the Sky. I started looking for a open spot at the Ben Howard boat launch. The boat launch was busy so I proceeded upriver from the boat launch. There was a section after the bend on the island that didn't have anybody fishing on it. I found out why very quickly. There was some shooting going on in the wooded area on the north side of the river. They were shooting towards the river. I heard a couple of bullets zing by. Another fisherman that started down the run above me had a bullet hit the rocks near him. I'm all for shooting but this type of carelessness makes me mad. They were shooting in a direction where they could have hit someone. There were families out on the river, there is traffic on the Ben Howard road and some farms across the road. Granted the road and farms are far but I still think it is irresponsible to shoot in that direction. Is there someone I can report this to?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

The County Sheriff. Call 911.

3. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Shooting -incredibly stupid and dangerous.

Failure to call 911 - ???

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Some people simply have no common sense. Any chance they might have heard you if you had yelled their direction? I would have done that while dialing 911. We had a similar situation last fall while floating the Satsop. Someone out sighting in a high powered rifle...shooting at a tree that was on the river bank. We both hollered at the assjack and it stopped. Damn unnerving I'll tell ya!

5. Should have walked over too the shooters like a bad ass flex ur biceps and said you dont want these guns.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I was up on the N/F of the Sky one year and it sounded like WWIII was going on. There was so much rifle fire I left the area. Never felt or heard any bullets near but I didn't take any chances. Some people just don't give a shit for other people in the woods.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

The county sheriff and the state patrol both would be very interested in someone shooting towards the river. Very illegal. 911.

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Creepy feeling. I was fishing the Yakima one fall during bird season, when I heard a gunshot and started hearing/seeing pellets landing in the river all around me. I suspect I was far enough away that I was not in serious danger, but I could see the hunters on the bank above the river close enough to yell a few choice words at them. They unthinkingly pulled on a bird that flew towards the river. The highway was probably no more than 100 feet behind me.
    D

9. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Those Americans were exercising their constitutional rights. The verbiage does not address common sense, sobriety or respect for the safety or properly of others. These rights are held sacred.

This is why I no longer hunt. I've been shot at enough.

bigdood likes this.
  10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Some friends and I were anchored in a raft one day fishing the Yak and noticed a grouse on top of the 10' high bank across the river. It was a fairly narrow stretch of river, probably about 30' wide, so we had a great view of the bird. Soon, pellets were hitting the water all around us, the bushes behind us and a few probably bounced off the raft. As the grouse took flight, the shots continued.

I had a whistle on my PFD (that I was wearing) so I immediately started blowing it as loudly as I could. The guy heard the whistle between shots and shortly, he appeared on top of the bank and sheepishly apologized. Luckily, no one was the hurt, the raft wasn't punctured and the grouse continued to fatten up for someone else's plate. Gotta wonder about some people though...

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That area has been an area prone to confrontations between anglers & land owners for years. I wouldn't leave anything of value in my car, with the crowds of humpy anglers soon to arrive I expect the car break ins to start to be rampant.

12. Soon to arrive?

There here already

13. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

It's the difference between gun ownership rights and responsible gun ownership. Glad nobody was hurt.

Patrick

bigdood likes this.
  14. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Home Page:

Fixed.

15. sourdoughsmitty

sourdoughsmitty Member

Quite awhile ago when I was stationed in the mojave desert we were fishing one of the typical seep ponds for bull frogs,all of a sudden the water erupted along with my ears . turns out a couple of kids were out shooting ducks, well when they approached the pond I got friendly with them and told the one thatwas a nicelooking shotgun , he said it was his dads and dad did not know he had it out! so I asked to look at it and turned the tables on the boys made them strip bare ass and told em they could pick it up 5 miles down the road at the sherriffs office . Well later that night I get a knock at the door and it is the boy and his dad,now dad is a bit miffed at me until I ask him what his boy told him----- seems there was a difference in our stories:eek: when i told dad what the boy did I never seen a belt come off so fast and he never missed a lick all the way down the street :D Thatl learn him what to tell dad , in retrospect one should use caution when dealing with people in this maner but at that time I was gi and had a real attitude with the life experience of when people point a weapon at you :mad: take care stay safe out there an dput your tin hats and flak jackets on smitty

Alosa and McNasty like this.