Short bed camping trailer/camper

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by james.jimenez, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I own a short F-250 and I am thinking of buying a camping trailer to out in the bed. What do you all own and what do you recomend?

Why are they so dam expensive? Do I really need to go with airbags? Slides good, how many? Brand?

Anyone have one for sale? I might have a coupon!!

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I already answered you on main board

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Are you asking about a travel trailer or an in-bed camper?

4. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Sorry about that. Looking for info on an in-bed camper.

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

In addition to Jerry's suggestions there is also Four Wheel Camper products excellent offerings. A little more spendy for sure but done right from the get-go. I'm with you-why are these damned things so expensive? No engine, no transmission, no wheels, one door instead of many and the rest flimsy aluminum and fabric instead of steel and safety glass yet they cost more than a decent economy car.

Even a little 14' travel trailer for about $10-12K has a lot more usable space inside and you still have the pickup bed to do what pickup beds do. And at around 3,000# any pickup will tow them like they are not even there.

I have owned an overhead camper, a 5th wheel and travel trailers. The loss of the pickup bed with the camper and 5th wheel is just to great to overcome-where am I supposed to carry my boats?

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Why I like the low profile pop ups. I have an 8' in bed Alaskan with boat rack on top. Luckily most of the time I'm towing the boat on a trailer behind me. But can toss my kayak or pontoon on top if need be.

7. TD

TD Active Member

8. Bill Keeler

Bill Keeler Member

Late to the discussion once again. But, I'm interested in moving to a pop up truck camper. My cute little F150 with a 5-1/2' bed really limits me as I shop for campers. I like to sound of and the reviews on Four Wheel and Northstar campers, but am having trouble finding reasonably priced units. Many of the other manufacturers don't have such good reviews (e.g. Palomino, Starcraft, etc.)

I know Jerry likes Alaskan camper - even more difficult to find and don't fit my truck very well. Do any of you have thoughts or opinions on pop up truck campers?

Thanks,
    Bill Keeler

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Bill, 'cute' says it all! First get a real truck-one with an actual bed. Not many of us will ever sleep well in a 5 1/2' bed. Even my so- called 'minivan' can swallow up 4x8 sheets of plywood and lock them safely inside. As for price, nothing RV related is inexpensive anymore. I have seen some $40,000 overhead campers and the pop ups with any equipment at all are up around $20,000. Finding a used one for your tiny little pickup bed is highly unlikely also. You would have more room in a van, a truck with a 6.5' bed offers a much better chance to find one used but a single cab with an 8' bed provides much more room and comfort than the other options and is the same length.

If trading trucks isn't an option even the smallest travel trailer offers more comfort and utility than a pop up. Nowadays they are very lightweight, well insulated and tow like a dream. And lots of used units are available.

Good luck, finding the right RV product is a daunting challenge for most of us.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  10. Bill Keeler

Bill Keeler Member

A mini-van? Even if I had a sheet of plywood inside, I'd have to surrender my man card if I arrived at the boat dock, with a mini-van! Just kidding, Iveoflone !

You're right, it's like solving a rubix cube when shopping for our camping needs. I'm hoping to keep my 'cute' little truck. It works for me in every other way. It pulls my 20' Hewescraft and 16' Clackacraft very well. I've been sleeping in a tent and I'm ready to upgrade a bit. The pop up camper is where I've landed, but don't know much about the brands. Many of the used brands have issues with leaks and water damage to the plywood components (e.g. Palomino and Starcraft). I've read good things about Four Wheel Campers and Northstar, but am having trouble finding one at a decent price.

Any experiences with pop up truck campers out there?

Thanks,
    Bill Keeler

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Sorry Ive...Minivan??? ahhhh...dude, the man-card just got pulled:D

Seamus me boyo, get an R-Pod. about the same $$ as a camper, an a LOT more room, depending on what you get. Your tiny-bedded Ford can pull it, and it comes with A/C, queen bed, and a TV (which we never use)
    The shower/head will keep your other half happy too!

12. Bill Keeler

Bill Keeler Member

Sir Alex,

Thanks for the reply, I thought I might here from you singing the praises for casa del R-pod. If sounds like you are really enjoying that setup.

I'm not convinced a trailer works for me. I like to take one of the boats with me as I explore this beautiful part of the world. I've only been in WA a couple of years and the boats take me to some awesome places and I hate to leave without them.

How do you guys manage your boats and haciendas in your travels?

Still looking for feedback on pop up camper manufacturers?

Thanks,
    Bill Keeler