short rod myth

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

I look at them like a tool. I use the right tool for the job at hand. 12' - 15' rods and 32' - 85' lines.

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Why should you use a 10-11 footer on this river as uposed to a 13-14'er ? What advantage does a shorter rod have here ? What is the advantage to fishing the shortest rod possible as upposed to applying the opposite and going with the longest rod you can "Get away with" ?
    I do think short rods are great, and would encourage everyone to fish them...:thumb:

I get the short rod on small water deal, and the skagit advantage on shorter rods , that's not what I'm curius about-
    Iv'e fished smaller rivers (GR one of them) and though I love my 12'6" lecie, I don't see where it has the advantage on a regular basis to a say 14'er on that river . Also, I tried the switch rod deal, and to each his own, but "No Bueno aqui " ...

So, just wondered what I'm missing, Lots of great opinions, but looking for some cold hard reasons and technical advantages to the shorties ...

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Your question is really odd to me and I'm not sure what you're looking for. I say this because the weight to length ratio we use to determine what tool to use for any given river or species is no different here. Do you fish a 13 footer on an irrigation ditch? How many rods do own and why? If I saw you using a 14 ft rod on the GR I would assume that its the only rod you own, you don't know what you're doing, you're a shitty caster, or all the above. I use a 13 footer on the CW and can't imagine why I would need to burden myself with another foot or two.

4. Leroy Laviolet

"Why should you use a 10-11 footer on this river as uposed to a 13-14'er ? What advantage does a shorter rod have here ? What is the advantage to fishing the shortest rod possible as upposed to applying the opposite and going with the longest rod you can "Get away with" ?

Anyone else wanna take a shot at this highly technical question ??? :rofl::beathead:

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Your illogicalness can not result in a logical answer. This is not a "technical" question, which I assume is why you're not getting many responses. Your question is so elementary to fly fishing that I'm hard pressed to even contemplate what you are after. Again.... How many rods do you own and do you fish a 15 footer on an irrigation ditch?

6. Leroy Laviolet

Read this again, you gotta be shit'n me - Obviously, you have no clue - But that's ok there is hope, keep reading on this websight and you will learn ! :rofl:

Bueller,....Bueller.... Anyone, anyone !:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I have no clue, right. You're the one asking the stupid question, I'm just trying to help you out. No one else is.

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

oh for cryin out loud

little rods don't tangle in the trees so much, the shorter heads let you fish with your ass to the bank, and little fish feel bigger.
    on big water, long rods give you superior line control and mending, better distance, long heads require less strip-strip-stripping...and big sticks make you feel like an uberstud.

any questions?

9. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

For me it' is about using the longest rod I can get away with. I hate all that stripping with short heads on loong casts. Also, that long head flying out is a beautiful thing to watch.
    I suspect many fishermen can't afford a huge quiver of rods and matching lines. They just use what they got. Shorter rods will work on big rivers, but the big rods don't work at all on little rivers.

10. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    I think most of what has been said has merit.
    I spend most of my fishing time with a 12'3" Zpey rod in the summer and 13'3" in the winter.
    Granted I use Scandinavian Shooting head and Scandinavian Style Casting not to be confusing with all the other styles.
    I still like long bellies and long rods

!5 years ago the average rod length was 14 to 15 ft .

And we worked with summer rods and winter rods just the same as we do today.

But with advent to Bob Meiser building the first switch rod and the development of better and better lines .
    The length of rods have shrunk.
    I have sold two 15 footers the this last year and both of them were bought by advanced casters.
    One was a TCX Sage and other other Zpey both we 15 ft for 10 's.

Every other rod that I have sold 2009 and so far 2010 have been under 13 ft.

I would say look at where you are going to be spending most of your time fishing and what you are going to fish for.

The Truth about the rods is this short the rod the more critical the timing will be and less forgiving,.

Neither of these are surmountable and can be concur using the Three P ( Practice, Patients and Presents) method of fly casting.

If you have any more questions let me know how I can be of service,
    :cool:

11. younggun

younggun New Member

I think the advantage to the shorter rod over the longer one has to do with space and compactability. Tight quarters requires a tight stroke, and the short rod allows for that, combined with a short head you can really downsize your stroke and motions, yet be able to cast effective distances with which ever fly you choose from. I match the rod to the water, not to the fish. If anyone has fished the thompson in BC you can see where anything from a 12-16fter can be used because you essentially cant over cast, and yet you then go to the coquihalla and can fish it comfortably with a 9ft single, 10'6 switch, or 11-12ft spey. The short rod theme just allows people to fish places where you usually wouldn't be able to fish previous to the short rod theme. In and around structure, under trees, against high banks, etc... This is my opinion.

12. Leroy Laviolet

Great to see at least Spey bum read the question !! Good on ya Arron-

Looks to me like the short rod isn't really "better" in many conditions as advertised ... Yet the trend goes to shorter rods, WHY ???

Actually, I had a 15' greaseliner, makes me a totall idiot correct ?? I can't cast either-bawling:
    Thanks for the help Pan , don't know how I'd make it widout ya bro!

One last try...

You are on the Ronde, plenty of room for a backcast, midbelly, 150-175' to the far bank. Why in the hell would you fish a 11' rod over a 14' rod here? What's the advantage?

Ok, try to stay on track now ... Cummon Brochacho's you can do it !!!:rofl:

13. Leroy Laviolet

Here's the deal-
    Iv'e noticed the trend to shorter rods and the lack of popularity of the longer rod with the masses if you will-
    My contention is that a longer rod in many cases fishes more effectively than a shorter counterpart , and is easier to deal with once you put in the time to learn it-
    The industry standard seems to rebut this these days-
    I think I know why, do you?
    There is no way a 13' rod is a equal/ better tool on a largeriver than a 15'er . Once again Pan, why don't you explain to all how it is- Enquireing minds want to know how you can cover the water better, mend etc. with a 13' at long distances than you could with a 15'er . You know as well as I those fish are out there, 130'+ . Fine if you want to leave them I'm glad you do , but why not give em a go. I can fish a long rod short, but you can't fish a short rod really long... No way dude-
    I'll fish behind ya and your short rod anyday of the week brotha!:thumb:

Nobody has answered why on a given river where backcast room is not an issue, or skagit casting isn't eployed, you are a more effiecient fisherman with a shorter rod- Period-
    Untill somebody can say why, I rest my case-:ray1:
    Would love to learn different- Learning is the point, opinions don't learn ya much-
    Facts anyone?

Ok, so GETCH POPCORN READY !!!

14. younggun

younggun New Member

size of fish?

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Where I can stand and cast relative to the bank, overhang and where I think the fish are? What I have. What I can control, in a can I get it there to fish, perspective? What am I expecting to catch? I can't imagine a 15' rod on the upper Yakima when tossing streamers for 14-22" trout. I also can't imagine a 11' 4wt spey rod on the Hoh in the middle of winter steelhead season. Is this thread going to draw out the particular details of scenarios where a type of angler chooses a type of rod/line delivery system for a particular reason or is it just going to be a pissing contest? I'm eager to learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.