Show Me Your Fly Box!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Thomas Williams, May 1, 2013.

1. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Yep I like soft hackles for the fixed line presentation

Attached Files:

Gary Knowels and McNasty like this.
  2. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm still looking for the perfect box for my assortment of The Mumbles Nymph. Says they work really well for anadromous (whatever that means) fish and occasionally the finicky carp. A real go to pattern.

;)

Attached Files:

dfl likes this.
  3. Cti111

Cti111 Member

Here's my meat n potatoes box
    box 1.jpg

Matthew Gulbranson and McNasty like this.
  4. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Wow! That's a lot of rubber! The last time I saw that much latex was...well...just you never mind where it was, but I can tell ya we weren't fishing...

5. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I'll play...

I got tired of using so damn many fly boxes and carrying them all with me. I bit the bullet, bought a big MFC Boat Box and use my small Cliff's boxes to take what I need to the river with me when walking and wading for trout. Great set up... the downside is that I thought I had a lot of trout flies until I got this dang thing...

Most of my stillwater stuff is in another box and my steelhead tubes and flies live in a few other boxes. I better get back to the vise so I can try to fill this dang thing out!

Attached Files:

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Just noticing, but do all of you use all those different flies. Since I've became older, I have pared my selection down to just a few flies. Those few that I use seem to work for me. But I'm still nuts as I carry all those different fly patterns with me. One will never know if they ain't hitting on your favorites that the strange looking fly in you box will work.

7. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I carry waaaaaay too many flies. I'm always worried I'll find some Mahi Mahi in a Montana stream and won't have the right fly.

[​IMG]

8. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I carry all the variety in my big box (it's essentially my "collection", but I definitely have my bread and butter flies that I have more confidence in. For example I have an entire row + of caddis pupae that I know will deliver for 6 months of the year.

With flies like the one I just mentioned, I carry large quantities of them. The variety is for specific hatches that I MAY encounter. I guess it's just the hoarder nature of flies and fly fishing.

You make a great point about not needing such a large variety of flies though. Most of us could make due with less than 10 patterns if we only fished a certain region/type of water, etc.

9. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I have far too many fly boxes to photograph for this thread so I'll post my latest project, Summer Steelhead patterns. All tied on Alec Jackson size 5 and 7 hooks.
    [​IMG]

JesseCFowl and McNasty like this.
  10. C&CRods

C&CRods not your average member

My dries IMG_20130508_175848_735.jpg streamers IMG_20130508_175859_662.jpg nymphs IMG_20130508_175911_345.jpg and terrestrial IMG_20130508_175854_100.jpg

11. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

My trout files are all tossed in a bass pro shops plastic POS box that came free with my first fly rod outfit so there's no point posting it. It just looks like my golden retriever shed some hair into a 6 compartment box.

However I just put together this steelhead/salt collection with the help of troutdopemagic and a generous friend -- at least it photographs like I know what the hell I'm doing

Attached Files:

troutdopemagic and plaegreid like this.
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I wonder how much $$$ is contained in all the fly boxes if the patterns were sold at retail?

Okay, I'll bite. I have far too many trout patterns boxes to show so I'll go with my warmwater fly boxes. I also have specialty boxes for steelhead, salmon, SRC, shad and blue-water patterns but I'm too lazy to mess around with those.

IMG_1002_edited-1.jpg

The irony, of course, is that only a dozen of these patterns work with any consistency.

Freestone likes this.
  13. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This is one of those "geez, I'm stupid" situations. When I fish the coastal lakes in Oregon, there are patterns that work more often then anything else. When I take off in my pontoon boat, I have 10-12 different fly boxes with me. I don't use 95% of those flies.

It occurred to me... why the devil do I carry so many patterns I'll never use?

So, I decided to wise up and built a fly box specifically for the lakes I fish the most often. I added flies that have worked for me in the past and a few experimental patterns just for the heck of it.

This is the fly box I just completed that includes the patterns that have worked well for me in the past. I think I may try something new and just take this box with me the next time I head out for a coastal lake.

Sometimes I amaze myself at how dumb I've been all these years. One box makes a lot more sense than 10.

IMG_1030_edited-1.jpg

Thomas Williams likes this.
  15. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Movin' water nymph box.

[​IMG]

dfl likes this.