Show Us Your Flytying Space

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Big E, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

You all have nice spaces. I've often thought about having a rolling tying bench like Ive's that I could use while watching TV or just to be in the living room with the Missus, while she is reading in the evening.

Like Gene, mine is a combo fly-tying, home-office space. A single rolling office chair can swivel 180 degrees to work on my computer and back to tie flies - it makes working at home a losing proposition, I'm afraid.

The main desk is an abandoned, post-yard-sale freebee, with an inexpensive shelving unit to the side to store more materials and pattern books within reach. I also now have a rolling unit with sliding drawers on the other side of the tying desk, which I didn't have when these pics were taken a few years back (I also have a lot more photos of my grandson, who is now 7, and ties with me occasionally).

You all must have better eyesight than I do. Many years ago, I purchased an inexpensive 2X magnifier light with an extension arm for tying small flies, but I use it for all tying now. The window opens into our back yard and provides natural light when I'm tying during the day (which is rarely, however).

For photographing flies, I keep a piece of neutral shade mat-board beside my desk to slip behind the vise, and use the magnifier light and a high intensity light to provide lighting from two angles. I'm not after professional quality fly pics, just ones good enough to share with friends and our forum from time to time.

Dick

fly tying desk.jpg

materials shelf.jpg

fly pattern books.jpg

Grouse&Caddisgreen.jpg

Jackd and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I always wanted a roll top desk. Thought it would make a great fly tying station.
    Jack

3. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Here's a roll top made for fly tying.
    [​IMG]
    My wife kicked me out of our spare upstairs room for her music and the downstairs room is now my fly tying, reloading, and gun room.

Jackd likes this.
  4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Yes, it's nice. This one is an old cast-off from Lake Union Dry Dock Co., so it's well used and worn.

Jackd - The free-standing tool holders you've got, did you make them? I've been thinking of something similar, as my tying station holes are full.

Your photo has me on the right track now. Thank you.

5. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    RE> magnifier light

I'll have to try that. I have CRS and CSS (can't remember and can't see). I use 3x and 5x jeweler's goggles. But they're a pain.

6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

A few friends who are maritime history buffs would really appreciate that desk.

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

It looks like everyone has some of the little sliding plastic drawers. I like those, but also remember that Ikea used to sell some that were made of wood. Anyone know if they're still selling them?

8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Yes, the history explains the condition and makes it a little more interesting.

My wife's family has a connection to the drydock so there are a few cool maritime items floating around.

9. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Here's my cramped quarters...it's not bad but I need another dozen plastic bins to put stuff in. I thought I would have enough storage when I moved the dresser in but I have a thing about filling drawers that need to be filled and alas it is full.

[​IMG]

Jackd likes this.
  10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Mine cost $19.95 at Home Depot and uses a regular 60W bulb, or equivalent compact fluorescent. There are significantly more expensive such lights available, but I haven't felt handicapped by this one. It didn't take me long to get over the annoyance of having something between me and the vice; the light and lens suspend by the arm from above, so it doesn't get in the way of my hands. Some styles have a ring light around the lens to make the illumination more uniform, but they make the barrier between you and the vice even bigger.

I bought a small lighted lens that clamps onto the vice post and has a small LED bulb in it, but the flexible arm isn't long enough to position it where I would like it to be and the light isn't bright enough to illuminate much.

Dick

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I made the same mistake. I've scratched the devil out of my magnifier and the store where I originally bought the unit no longer sells them. So... I tried the craft store and bought the product mentioned above and it was a waste of money.

So I'm still looking.

Well what do you know, I found the same magnifier I was using before. It's made by Daylight and I clamp it on my vise. The lens isn't lit but just the right size so it doesn't get in the way.

For 30 bucks (plus the shipping) I guess I'll have to order another one.

[​IMG]

12. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I like these threads because I can get some new ideas! I am very fortunate to have the spouse that I do because she enables my fishing. She bought me the table, giraffe system, and frame for the giraffe, for my birthday many moons ago. It is in our family room so I can talk to her while we both watch the tube and I work on my tying.

[​IMG]

Another view. The bookshelf has my fishing library. The rod tube has my first fly rod; it is retired now.

[​IMG]

All of my stuff is in the next room over. I just grab what I need for each pattern and take it in the family room. I had this set up for reloading but sold all of that a few years ago and expanded my rod building and fly tying stuff. It is also right next to the garage so it is easy to load and unload my stuff during season. The white tube above the mutt is a z-axis 7100 blank that I will start working on this week. It is also snowshoeing season around here hence the ski poles.

[​IMG]

Jeff Coria and Bradley Miller like this.
  13. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I'll take a picture of my limited setup when I get everything put back together. At the moment everything is taken down and put away while I am building my first rod. My desk is special though. It was built by my great grandfather, three 8x8" drawers on the left, a center drawer for small items, a 8x8" drawer on the right top and a 8x16" file drawer under that. It may not look like much, but to me it is very special. The only downside is that I have a clamp vise and the only place to secure it is in front of the center drawer so I lay down a piece of cardboard on the top and bottom and clamp onto that. As for my materials, I use the partitioned plastic boxes for hooks, beads, dubbing, and thread/wire. Feathers go in one drawer on the left and fur goes in another.

14. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Some nice st-ups there, guys! I've shown mine before -- it's a converted Ikea computer table with wheels that allows me to move around our tiny apartment where space permits. Very simple, but it works.

[​IMG]

Happy 2013,
    Kenneth

15. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Here's my little world, I used to have a large roll top desk... it was perfect when my kids were young and inquisitive.
    The cork peg boards on the wall came with the desk, DSCN1996.JPG it came from Fred Meyers a few years ago....worked perfect.