Shrimp fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Salmonchaser25, May 6, 2009.

1. Salmonchaser25

Salmonchaser25 Member

thanks for the input, and your right pulling up crab and shrimp pots is probably a horrible idea but sometimes you got to work with what you got hopefully i will be posting some pictures of pots full of shrimp soon, any idea on how I could figure out water depth without gps, maybe map online? dont have a fish finder on the canoe

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

There are some decent versions of marine maps that show depth contours. Most marine stores will have them. I recommend the extra few bucks to get one that is laminated or on the weather resistant paper, no sense investing in a piece of paper that will last one day. Best of luck.

3. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree The cost of gear and the shortness of the season is why I have never got into shrimping.

4. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    just look for all the buoys that are too far out to be crabbers and set up near by

5. gt

gt Active Member

i am curious as to where you got the notion that you can only use 100' of line when crabbing. is there a page number in the regs you can share?

some marine areas do indeed close to shrimping very quickly. other areas will remain open until the official end of the season as pressure is so light. any quota which is not sport caught rolls over to the commerical shrimpers so get out there :)

without my ace line hauler, i would not be doing this, no way. and remember, shrimp are super good swimmers so each time you stop to catch your breath, you are going to have them swimming out of your trap.

decoy, shrimp floats have to be yellow, crab floats are red/white, pretty straight forward to spot what is going on.

6. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Don't want to be a wet blanket, salmonchaser, but I agree with Scott.
    I've was tempted- but never did it- when I had a canoe. (And I'm a maniac who'll try practically anything.)
    You'll end up on the evening news...a bad way to end the day.

7. Finspot

Finspot Member

Home Page:
    John, I've been shrimping out of a canoe on Hood Canal for years. Unfortunately I won't be able to this year b/c of a PT rehab assignment. You'll want another person in the canoe, one trap each; any more than two traps gets unwieldy, although you could try for three with some practice. Two spools of at least 400 feet of line per, plus buoys. Everyone has their own bait recipe; some of the old salts swear by Puss n Boots catfood.

Obviously the canoe adds an element of challenge/danger, but is much more fun than putting around wasting fossil fuels in a big boat with an electric winch hauling up your pot. If you dump, it's never too far to swim since in most spots you won't need to be far from shore. Plus, once you drop your pots it's a quick paddle to go snack on some oysters. Make sure you weight your traps with enough rocks; don't want the traps "walking" on the bottom. BTW, hauling up a trap is easier than you think. The trap acts like an anchor and pulling it up, though good exercise, actually steadies you in the canoe while standing, like leaning against a wall. No problem in the canoe if it's sea-worthy.

I'll have a chapter about canoe-shrimping in my forthcoming book. Here's my blogpost on last year's trip, with a video:

http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/2008/05/mad-shrimping.html

Good luck!

Finny (Lang)

8. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Possible solution to the need for a pot puller:

I used to pull my skiff's anchor up from deep water using the buoy and ring technique. You feed a big ring tied to a buoy onto the anchor line on the boat and then run, almost on plane, upcurrent. The buoy stays pretty much on the surface above the anchor while the anchor line is pulled up by the boat. You know the anchor is up when the buoy starts getting pulled hard. If you do it right the anchor is waiting for you to pick up right at the buoy. The trick is having enough anchor chain to outweigh the anchor. If not enough weight the anchor will start going back down. Seems like it would work with a shrimp pot but I haven't tried. Maybe?

Cheers,
    JR

9. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I watched the video and you are truly apeshit nuts, finspot.
    hats off to you.
    regards, Bob

10. gt

gt Active Member

wow, now there is a tragedy waiting to happen. a guy, no PFD, in a canoe, floating around on 40degree water, pulling a shrimp pot, by hand, while standing up. not to worry, some one burning fossil fuel will pick up your sorry ass while you are in the water gasping from cold water immersion while trying to stay afloat . hopefully, that person will get to you in time. this is one of THE dumbest things i have ever seen anyone do.

11. Finspot

Finspot Member

Home Page:
    SpeySpaz - I don't want to get anyone killed, but it is fun pulling pots in a canoe, if only to see the looks on the other boaters' faces!

12. Finspot

Finspot Member

Home Page:
    GT - you may be right (and if you read the blog post I admit as much right up front) but I think the drive to the fishery, to any fishery, is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Look, I don't want to start a typical WFF brouhaha--probably should have counted to 10 before posting--but John asked a question and I answered. I guess it seems normal to me b/c I've been doing it for years (always in a pdf except for that one pull). Folks, don't try this at home! GT's right. Not safe.

13. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

the bait is the most important factor IMO. we were around guys today pulling 10-20 and we were getting 80-100. Lots of oily fish + shrimp pellets + cuisinart = $$$

14. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

different shrimp
    different depth

similar to crab

fancy feast "fish and shrimp" feast cat food
    a large, mackrel head, or a seagull work great for bait

:eek:

15. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

decoy that looks oh so tasty