Pattern Shrimp pattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Roger Stephens, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

The shrimp pattern shown in the picture is an attempt to imitate the coonstripe shrimp which is a common shrimp often found in shallow waters of Puget Sound. Thus, I am going to call the pattern a coonstripe shrimp fly. These shrimp vary in color from light brown to reddish brown. I prefer to fish top water patterns but the coonstripe shrimp pattern has been one of the best subsurface pattern which I use. It is often as good or better than a clouser minnow. Sea-run cutthroat and resident coho in particular seem to like it but I have caught adult coho and adult chinook on it.

Thomas:

I have had the most success with the coonstripe shrimp pattern using a retrieve similar to the one which you described. I use a short moderate retrieve with a 1 second or so pause. The fish usually strike it on the pause and it is often a "soft take" so you have to be able to "pull the trigger" quickly.

Roger

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

If you fish Coastal Cutthroat or Resident Coho in Puget Sound this fly should be in your box. Roger introduced this fly to me three years ago and it has been a steady producer. My problem is I usually carry about 100 different patterns and admittedly do not fish the Coonstripe often enough.

3. kamiakBB

kamiakBB New Member

Steve --- Redrider here (George), up in Everett ... Total new to this blog/site, and really to "flying" (coming back after 12+ years) ... While I am an engineer, (Boeing), and a bug for details, Leland would no doubt tell me to just tie up something interesting, and to "get my feet on the beach" .. Nuf said, and I kinda agree and understand what he is saying -- no amount of reading/talking will take the place of listening/smelling/SEEING! But each of us has to be comfortable in what we do trying to learn this, and one of the issues I WILL NOT be bothered by is "trying things out" when I have my "FBFFD" (fly box for the day) ... so having a few more than a palm full will help me a LOT ... WOULD YOU CARE TO SHARE W/ A BEGINNER YOUR [say] ... TOP 25 CUTT patterns, w/ any minor comments you want to make on any of them ... I WILL visit Leland @ Orvis, and try to get some kind of a "here's your list -- go try these, and see me in 2 months" selection, but this IS a tough issue w/ me -- not ANAL, but just want my efforts in driving/time/$$ cost/etc to be somewhere above the mdl break point OK ? Any help in having something close to "these have worked in the past for me" patterns to tie up ... would be so VERY greatly appreciated ! Thank you Steve! Even call if you get the chance ... (by the way, the "Coonstripe" sounds like a GREAT pattern, but I found <nothing> like a photo that ROGER refers to -- no link/jpg/URL -- nothing !) ... George YOUNG (425) 258-3300 ..... kalliefarm@comcast.net

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

redrider, I would suggest using the search function on this site. You will find all that you are looking for and more with the click of a button! I know it has helped me tremendously.

5. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

redrider:

If you do a search on this site using "shrimp pattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat" dated 12/07/08, you will find a photograph, materials list, and tying instruction for the coonstripe shrimp pattern. Hope that helps you.

Roger

6. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

redrider -
    Go to the Galleries section of the site, click on "Patterns" and then on "salt" and you will find pages of images of saltwater flies. There will be a lot of great flies for searun cutts. Not all of them will have recipes with them, however, but you usually can figure out the ingredients 'close enough' and close enough usually is okay. Baitfish patterns in chartreuse, olive, and pink (each over white) will give you a good starting point. Include a few things to represent shrimp and a few of Leland's poppers and you will have a pretty good selection of searun cutthroat flies for the salt to get you started.
    D