SBS SilverFly Anchovy

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by SilverFly, Jun 21, 2015.

1. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I've had a couple requests for tuna patterns. There are plenty of good ones, but this is my favorite. Not sure what to call it but is probably just a variation of an existing pattern or maybe a combination. Whatever it is, the pattern has worked for NW tuna, and in Baja for dorado and ladyfish. Haven't tested it on salmon or rockfish yet but hope to scratch them off the list later this summer.

Made some tweaks with this version. I originally tied the wing using FisHair but it didn't give the fly much movement. EP fibers worked great for movement, but didn't work well for shaping the profile - at least the way I tie it. So in this version I alternate layers of both which seems to solve both issues. Also added the lateral scale "handles" for the eyes.

Hook - Umpqua U401 SS (2/0 shown)
    Thread - White 210 Ultra Thread

Wing:
    FisHair - "Polar Bear" white
    EP Fiber - White
    Angel Hair - Peacock

Body:
    Dubbing - Brite Blend White
    Hanked Lite Brite - Holographic Silver

Head:
    3D molded eyes (3/16")
    Lateral Scale
    5 minute epoxy (2-part)
    Silver Creek UV resin

Wrap shank from eye to just short of point…

[​IMG]

Starting at the rear, tie in a small bundle of FisHair fibers on underside of shank, extending back about 2/3 hook length as a tail - splitting the bundle on either side of hook bend. Then wrap forward about 1/4", split the bundle again, fold backwards and tie down on top side of shank. Wrap about halfway back, loosening tension to gather top and bottom fibers into alignment with shank, and wrap forward again to fold point. Then trim off topside bundle about 1/2" longer than bottom. When repeated, this under/over layering builds the baitfish profile and integrates the hook into the "belly" (sorry for the crappy pic!).

[​IMG]

Repeat with a bundle of EP fiber aligned slightly short of ends of previous bundle on underside, and trimming off about 1/2" longer on top. Then lightly dub the wrapped section with white Brite Blend (or white dubbing of choice) before folding back and tying down top bundles. Dubbing will cause each successive bundle to "flare" at a slightly greater angle away from the shank (up or down - not outward).

[​IMG]

Wrap forward about 1/4", dub wrapped section, and repeat sequence with another bundle of FisHair - continuing with the shorter-under/longer-over pattern.

[​IMG]

Repeat above sequence again with EP. At this point the baitfish shape should be starting to show. Trim as needed by holding ends of fibers and snipping towards tail to refine baitfish shape, including belly section in overall profile. Allow fibers to stick out freely when trimming belly section to get shape accurate.

Edit: I do virtually all the profile trimming from the underside. Some exceptions would be when tying patterns with a deeper vertical profile when shaping intermediate bundles of shorter lengths to build the wing profile upwards.

[​IMG]

Repeat alternating the fiber bundles, and dubbing, tying forward until wing base is just short of hook eye (leaving enough room to tie in flash and top wing without creating a bulky head). Next tie in sparse bundles of silver Lite Brite on either side of body to length of shank and aligned with wing fibers. Fold bundles backward and tie down trimming to half-length of shank (concentrating flash on body and head portion of fly).

[​IMG]

For the wing top, tie down a sparse bundle of Peacock Angel Hair slightly longer than bend of hook, leaving the longer remaining part hanging forward. Top wing should neatly intersect at base of eye.

[​IMG]

Chop up some silver Lite Brite and sparsely dub before tying back top of wing (this helps define the head when epoxied).

[​IMG]

Add more Angel Hair if needed for correct light/dark proportions (if possible without making head bulky). Then make final trims to finished baitfish profile, and pick-out/trim the dubbed Lite Brite as desired at the head. Fly is now ready for eyes.

[​IMG]

A view of the alternating EP and FisHair wing structure and trimmed belly profile.

[​IMG]

Stick 3D eyes to hook-length sections of Lateral Scale with strips offset to top half of eye. Trim strips at a shallow angle at rear to blend with wing curvature.

[​IMG]

The Lateral Scale strips make nice "handles" for positioning the eyes. Tie down tips in front with the strips aligned on light/dark transition in the wing. Half hitch and and trim thread. Secure eyes in place with a drop of UV resin on backside. Fly is now ready for 2-part head epoxy.

[​IMG]

Finished fly should be relatively sparse and thin in cross-section. On this one I used fine-point markers in olive and aqua to visually blend the top of the eye and front of lateral scale strip with the top wing before applying epoxy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Yeah, that will play!

SilverFly likes this.
  3. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Thanks. I'm going to get some more Angel Hair and EP in different colors to do some variations. Peacock green is probably more accurate for a herring imitation than an anchovy which are more blue offshore. I have some AH in light blue, but really need something darker for the top wing. I didn't want to add another material to the SBS just to get the color right.

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I use a similar pattern and boated a hog on one tied in blue last year.

SilverFly likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

That can't work... you used domed style eyes :D

(I can see why that one works for dorado... and if I ever ended up on a tuna fishing trip, that would be the pattern I tie for the trip.)

SilverFly likes this.
  6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Very nice thank you! In miniature a good coho pattern as well.

onefish, SilverFly and GAT like this.
  7. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Gotta pic? (fly or hog)
    I prefer the term "bug-eyed". My theory being it makes the fly look extra scared and vulnerable! ;)
    Thanks. This one is probably closer to a herring imitation than an anchovy, but I do want to tie some smaller herring versions specifically for salmon. I'm also going to tie up some saury imitations for tuna. They look like 2-3" bluish silver sandlance.

Since there is virtually nothing "new" in fly patterns, I did some inquiring to find out what to call this fly. Sure enough, it looks like a variation on "Burk's Hot Flash Minnow".

[​IMG]

http://www.orvis.com/p/burks-hot-flash-minnow/46c8

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Here's a Pacific saury version. I need to get some smaller eyes and stronger #2 hooks for these guys. The head turned out a bit bulky on this one but is close to what I had in mind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    c1eddy, RossMcMeekin and Tacoma Red like this.
  9. Philster

Philster Active Member

Check out owner "flyliner" hooks. They are technically live bait hooks, but they were my go to for small tuna patterns. I used to land football yellowfins on size 6 and never had one change shape. Make sure you don't get the "ringed" ones.

For tube flies the owner gorilla hook is great in small sizes, and my favorite in the 2/0 range is the Aki. None of them are cheap, but with tuna... Well, you know the rest of that story...

SilverFly likes this.
  10. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

And yet more valuable info - thanks!

I have some owner LB's within reach of my tying bench in my "other" tackle drawer - should have thought of that myself DOH!

Those Aki's look killer, nice fly profile too. The Umpqua U401 work fine for albies but I might pick up a few of the Aki's in larger sizes if my imagination gets the best of me (it will) when looking at ocean temp charts. As it is I'm already considering a 14wt outfit.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  11. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

OK, I've got stuff to do and need to stop playing with arts and crafts. Unfortunately, I was thinking about the lateral scale handle, and the earlier home made eye experiment, when the idea of a "glue-lam" gill plate hit me. Basically it's just strips of saltwater flashabou laminated with Silver Creek UV resin.

[​IMG]

Keeping with the "eye handle" concept.

[​IMG]

Tied down at the front tip and tacked in place with UV. Fly ready for 2-part head epoxy.

[​IMG]

Finished fly.

[​IMG]

Epoxied gill plate close-up.

[​IMG]

So now that's it's a million degrees outside, time to do some yard work.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  12. Swimmy

Swimmy Riffle > Run > Pool

Really cool. I love the idea of gluing the eyes to the lateral scale. I have the hardest time getting eyes to stick to synthetic and this looks like a nice trick.

Thanks,

SilverFly likes this.
  13. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Thanks. Glad you like it.

Yeah, my dexterity isn't what it used to be and I fight with getting the eyes positioned every time. So it was a definite "aha" when there was a piece of lateral scale laying below the vise. If you try it I'd like to see the results - presumably on a streamer intended for big browns.

14. Swimmy

Swimmy Riffle > Run > Pool

So I tied up a couple of these. Eyes still popped on ones I just glued. However, I glued one and then shot it with some UV and those seem to hold.

The next ones I will tie up with cct body fur heads just to give it a little different profile and a bigger surface area for the glue to stick.

[​IMG]

15. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Nice! What hair material did you use?