SBS SilverFly Anchovy

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by SilverFly, Jun 21, 2015.

1. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Active Member

Home Page:
    Most likely squid.

If they were running 200+ gr jigs then they are likely around 150'-250'.

2. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Damn. Knew I should have added 50' to that line. Tying the wrong flies too!

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You danged model fly tiers :D

SilverFly likes this.
  4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Those are pretty dang impressive face plates! Nice job!

SilverFly likes this.
  5. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Thanks. No albacore on the pattern this year, although I did miss a grab on what was one of the very few shots I had this year for getting one on the fly. The only fish landed on the new pattern this year was a 4# rockfish off the jetty so at least it's been broken in.

I'm not counting the albacore that came un-pinned when trolling (yes, I was THAT desperate). Interestingly, that was one of 2 troll takes we had all day and both came unhooked. The first early in the day was on a standard double hook squid-like troll lure (a "clone"). The brief hookup I had using this fly was late in the day and that fish passed up an array of much larger troll lures and another fly to hit the anchovy pattern. Again, these fish have incredible vision and can make out very subtle differences in that ultra-clear water.

6. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Simplified the process and made some more tweaks. I'll probably post a fresh SBS at some point. Here's the latest version an imitation of a small Hawaiian anchovy or "nehu" for an upcoming trip.

20170201_193246.jpg

plaegreid, Buzzy, csc0tt98 and 2 others like this.
  7. b_illymac

b_illymac Member Active

Please do!

SilverFly likes this.
  8. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I'm working on it!

Just ordered some resin refills from Silver Creek. Almost out of CCG and fed up with fighting the residual tackiness anyway.

A couple notes in the meantime. One of the problems I've had with the gill plates was that the iridescent mylar film I was using had a green cast too it. Which is fine if you're going for green. Not so much if you want blue tones which are more common in offshore baitfish.

So on my last trip to the craft store I enlisted the help of a nice gal to guide me around the store looking for tying materials. With no luck after perusing terrifying, testosterone-free parts of the store like the scrapbooking section, I ended back in gift wrapping. Fortunately I noticed that some of the mylar wrapping had slightly different colors and picked one with a bluish cast. Probably due to slight variations film thickness of the reflective coating. The blue shows better in this pic of the last fly posted:

20170203_123133.jpg

As compared to the green in this batch from last year:

20160824_235347.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    plaegreid, Buzzy and b_illymac like this.
  9. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Active Member

Home Page:
    I dig it...now we just need a nice ocean to test a few on bottom fish. Although if you're headed to the land of warm waters...I'll just stick to hating you instead. :p

SilverFly likes this.
  10. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

If it helps the hate factor, this will be my first trip to Hawaii. ;) Rockfish and lings sound pretty good too!

veilside180sx likes this.
  11. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

More practice adapting the pattern for Hawaii this summer. Here's a 2nd attempt at an "opelu" which is a small species of scad mackerel.

20170209_165550.jpg

Some differences with this version is that the gill-plates are made as a single piece that folds around the head from under the hook shank. This saves the hassle of aligning them separately.

20170209_161513.jpg

The gill-plates are also easier to make using a "fish template" drawn on a piece of transparent plastic.

20170209_161636.jpg

The nylon mesh can be wrapped around the head portion of the template and clamped in place. Once saturated with UV resin, the iridescent film can be applied, and the resin cured.

20170209_161908.jpg

Then features like eyes can be traced over the top and sealed with more resin.

20170209_161833.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    tackleman and veilside180sx like this.
  12. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Another advantage with the transparent template is to check/adjust the profile of the fly. This works well as it's being tied and for final trimming.

20170209_233409.jpg

20170209_233215.jpg

tackleman likes this.
  13. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

The gill-plates were offset too high on the last one so I made an adjustment to the template by trimming the edge where the mesh folds under the head. Also added some snippets of lateral scale and saltwater flashabou in addition to the mylar for highlights.

20170210_155337.jpg

After trimming the head and overall profile came out better on this fly. Too bad I can't seem to get a decent pic. Took a bunch and only this one comes close to how it really looks.

20170210_135004.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  14. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

random thought, so you trim to your profile (that's pretty slick btw), are you concerned at all with the fibers in your fly compressing in the water such that the actual profile is thinner than intended? Does that make sense?

edit: I suppose if the fish eat it like crazy it's pretty much a moot point...

SilverFly likes this.
  15. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

You are correct that the gill-plates do tend to compress the fly in cross-section. I've had that same thought that a super-thin fly profile, as seen from below, could be a problem with blue water fishing where predators are looking up from a great depth. Fortunately, the pattern doesn't seem to have any problems getting eaten when fish are present. At least so far.

Even so, this is a good point and something to be aware of. On the other hand, I think a thin profile may have an advantage in sinking faster due to less water resistance. Not sure if this is actually the case since, for all I know, the fly may be twisting and turning like a willow leaf when sinking. I dunno, probably doesn't matter with the heavy lines we're using.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017