Single Foot Guides vs. Double Foot Guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Don P, Feb 22, 2006.

1. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I have one rod(St Croix Leg. Ultra) with single foot guides, and It casts nice, but I don't like the way the single foot guides look on the rod. Perhaps I am a traditionalist.
    RMB

2. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

From an esthetic standpoint, I,too, prefer a snake guide to the single foot. But all of my Lamiglas rods have the singles, plus my heavy spey, and a couple of others I own. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm warming to them as the rod's performance is not affected.

3. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

I have found tha the single foot guide changes the action of the rod LESS. The double foot guides on lighter rods really make the original blank more stiff in action than when you start, which might be desirable, but in building rods for my sons, I only made this mistake once, and redid the rod and was much more plesed with the softer action of the 4 wt.

4. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

When you think about it , it stands to reason that the more mtal and wraps you put on a rod the stiffer it will be. :) I put singles on a 7'6" 4wt Rainshadow I built recently, it "feels softer" than another similar blank I tried that was equipped with double footers. I had attributed the difference to the constructors and brands of line (both DT but different manufacturers).

5. ScottC

ScottC New Member

no more single foot for me

I'm not a builder, just an ordinary fisherman. I have two rods, one with single and the other with snake feet. They're similar in weight and action, and after using them side by side, I'd have to say my next rod will have snake guides.

As others have noted, the single foot guides produce a raspy sound and a feeling of friction, while the snakes are silent and slick. The snakes are those on a TFO Ticr, and the single foot are on a rod similar to Loomis and are supposedly the best available (Batson tich). Both have the same # of guides.
    Using lots of line dressing helps with the noise, but I think all things being equal the snakes cast better.

I really don't believe that the snake guides noticeably affect the flex of the rod.

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

it's just splitting hairs...

:cool: