size of flies?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kimosabe, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Poppy, I'll fish with you anytime. With any luck, I will be at the Clearwater Clave with the same ugly bunch you saw me with at the Sandy one. :beer2:

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Actually a bit of both with a dry line. Cast is usually slightly up stream, and then I'll toss in one or two big up stream mends so the flies are coming down stream (and sinking) first. Once I get tension on the line then it's usually a straight swing.

Fred

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Exactly. Thinking about the comments on 'big flies/big water' and I honestly can't remember (save for a couple of high water trips over on the Chetco) where I've hooked a fish on a hook over a #4.
    Fred

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Well this thread has been enlightening. Poppy, I'll try to make it over there to my home state of ID, where women are scarce and sheep are nervous :rofl: :rofl:.

Be careful, if i'm the first one through, I'll catch the fish:cool: :cool: . hehe, just ask those I fish with.

Thanks for the backup Will. It's nice to know someone doesn't think I'm a total greenhorn.

Seriously, if more than 50% of the time someone was follwing me through a run and hooking a fish, I'd have some serious self doubts about my fly and or my abilities, but hey, according the "internet experts" that "usually" happens.:beathead:

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Didn't say that the lead guy doesn't usually hook the fish, but rather, that its not unusual if he doesn't. Clearly you're not a rookie, hell, you've probably been fishing longer than I and your a better fisherman. :confused:

6. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Now Justin, don't you mean hook fish the first time through the run?

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Yes, very true....I hook em, make em splash or pull, then bink, Long distance release.....You see Mike, my skills are such that I can feel that it is a native and at that point I just let em go.:D

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

First good laugh of the day.

iagree

Oh how I CAN RELATE!!:rofl:

9. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I like those long distance releases. One smokin run and a jump or two is enough for me. If the fish gets off after that then I don't have to get my creaky old frame down in the water to the fish's level to let them go.
    To me, unless you plan to eat the fish once you've moved the fish to your fly you've won the round.

10. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Poppy,

I totally argree. I love the take! it is all about the Take!!! I can feel it my fingers, my elbows, and in my toes every frikin time I think about those damn fish. Fall is near...oh yes, fall is near.

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Ahh, Poppy my man, Then I have won A TON! of rounds LOL.:beer2: :rofl: :beer2:

Maybe I should have that outlook.

Justin

12. inland

inland Active Member

Tall,

Getting your pocket picked one time doesn't mean crapola. For well longer then a hundred years people have been catching steelhead on simple hairwings and the past 20 years, especially the past 10, they all of sudden don't work??? Righteeoo.

IF you don't fish hairwings they surely don't work. IF they don't stay on your line for more then 20 minutes/season they surely don't work. IF they were on your line for an entire season you would catch just as many fish. Tie a giant hairwing the same size and profile as your 'strike inducing' superflies and see what happens.

From July to mid October (or later depending on the river) I NEVER fish anything bigger then a size 4 ultra sparse wet (hairwings and tiny speys) east of Bonneville. Usually a size 6. Always on a floater. Or size 4/6/8 wakers (much more fun for me). It's how you fish not what. Time has proven it ALL works so I choose to fish tiny stuff.

Man you guys must be ultra competitive to get this worked up over one fish pulled from your boots all because you weren't dredging your kwickfish imitation...

William

13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Will, I didn't say that hairwings didn't work.

I'll wager you get outfished 2 to 1 when others use sink tips, but maybe you like the challenge of floating line and all that. Commendable yes.

kwickfish imitation, Ok thats just a little much.

Justin

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    The above statment may fly on some rivers you fish but I don't think it will fly on the Clearwater. If it was true all the old time regulars would be fishing tips and mega bugs. They are not!

As to the challenge, I'll take moving a fish to my fly on a floating line any day over using a sinktip to move my fly to the fish. It is definitely not the same thing.

15. inland

inland Active Member

Tall,

No, you basically said they aren't as effective as your superflies.

William