size of flies?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kimosabe, Jul 1, 2007.

1. inland

inland Active Member

O mykis,

In all seriousness all the same water. From my experience it depends on where the fish are that day. Slow to fast with whitewater they lay in there. Head east and stick with the floater and you will be rewarded for your efforts. Don't for one second think that just because you aren't catching anything it is due to your fly not being deep enough. Blasphemy. The inland summer runs are the most free rising of all races of steelhead. Fished for during (usually anyway) optimum conditions. Using a method that can't be any simpler...it's as easy as steelheading gets. And, IMO, perfectly compliments the winter tactics and chrome bullets.

If you are seeking your first on a floater why not just get one a dry? Tie on a #4 mooseturd and riffle hitch it to make it wake. Cast and mend to keep it swinging a moderate to slow speed towards shore and pay attention. Usually works better (like most tactics) when the light is off the water but NOT ALWAYS. I carry a loop and when a fish boils or slams the waker I 'instinctively' drop the loop and reach towards the fish (rod flat to the water). Most guys keep a high rod and/or loop and drop both when they see the rise.

I honestly believe a waker is every bit as effective as wets (on a floater) throughout the premium times. Basically now until around mid Oct (and mid Oct is highly subjective to too many things we can't control or understand so take it as a poor guideline) on these inland fish. Don't get discouraged if you see others catching fish on wets while you go without. Your time is coming. Tomorrow they might be keyed in on wakers and you will get 5 or more while they go without.

William

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

My fav. time for a full floater is water at/under 3' in depth or fishing through shallow 'white water' riffles. The first will be (appears anyway) to be 'holding water' of some sort and the takes can be pretty darned soft at the end of a 15' leader. The 'fast water' .... BANG! No fooling around by Mr. Fish there!:eek:

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

An interesting discussion!

The key to the what approach to take for steelhead really depends on the conditions and fish you are fishing for. Those fishing the wet side of the State do so vitually 12 months a year under a very wide range of water conditions and fish of different attitudes.

I absolutely love skating a small (#8) fly for summer steelhead - a late July morning or evening skating such bugs over our wild Deer Creek summer steelhead is what immediately comes to my mind/memory when talking about steelhead on the fly. As much fun as that is the same approach in mid-February on the middle Skagit during a cold snap is only going to yield castng practice.

Coach did ask the more interesting question - "What will a steelhead not take?"

As some may know one of my fishing passions is fishing streamers for our Skagit bull trout. In doing so I fish some pretty large flies. Part of the bull trout game is that I have to put up with a bycatch that includes a surprising number of steelhead. My accident catch rate of steelhead on bull trout streamers approaches what that when I targeted steelhead with more convential flies -supporting the argument that they will take almost anything. However what is important for this discussion is that steelhead are caught on the smaller streamers and my steelhead catch rates drop rapidly once I step up in fly size (length) and drops to near zero with the largest flies. My experience seem to show that moderate size flies are money for steelhead while the effectiveness of the larger flies drops sharply as size increases.

For me the upper size threshold between being effective or not for steelhead is a fly with at total length of 5/6 inches depending on conditions. At times steelhead could be pests with 3 and 4 inch flies but were hardly ever a problem with flies 8 inches and up.

Tight lines
    Curt

4. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Curt,

Very great analysis!!! I am a bullie hunter as well and have never had the accidental steelie hookup, but were fishing rivers that have little to no steelie activity. I personally only fish spey and dee flies, which are far less smaller than the leech patterns, even on the largest of POR spey hooks.

5. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Nice post Mr. Curt. I always enjoy reading your info.

6. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

FT, Bummer man, you had to tell me that the delta long was only 65'. hehe, Back to the drawing board I guess.

I'm glad all on here have come to the agreement that larger flies are more effective than those dang hair wing flies:rofl: :beer2:

Caught this fish this morning on the dangle. Caught on a 3.5" tube fly.
    [​IMG]

7. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

nice fish justin! good thing i wasnt following behind you using hairwings though, I would have cleaned up! ;)

8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Hmmm???? I must have missed that part. NIce fish Tall!

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

that was a joke Poppy. you crack me up.

10. obiwankanobi

It is great to at least see a picture of some chrome, good job!!

I'm just glad that everyone realizes that steelheading is about traditon and that they are best caught on SPEY'S AND DEE'S.:clown: :clown: :clown:

11. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Yes, I knew you were just funnin us. In my minds eye I could see the smile on your face when you posted that, thinking to yourself "watch me hook one of those guys with this statment".

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

It worked, caught me a big old one :D :beer2:

13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Post some pics of those flies Obi.

14. obiwankanobi

I definitely will....By the way, electronics and water are bad, very bad. Digital cameras for some reason don't react well to an unplanned dunk in the Cedar.

15. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

I totally agree it's about the fly you are confident in and how one fishes it.

Time and again I've had my buddy fish behind me with a fly similar to the one I was using and hook up and other times, I've hooked up behind him. It's all about confidence, pure and simple.

Just last summer I watched a guy land a 30lb. chinook on the Cowlitz with a dry line and a fly that was little more than gold tinsel and very sparse squirrel hair, light wire hook, size 4. The fish rose and anihilated the fly. He'd already hooked two steelies earlier in the day on the same fly---in bright sunlight, no less.

What's his "go to fly" on the Cowlitz in the summer? You guessed it, that little "nothing" fly, the guy cleans up on that river with that thing, with a run that's pretty much 100% hatchery fish.

It's all about feeling the mojo in the fluff and feathers that's attached to your leader, nothing more, nothing less. The rest is all about reading water and presentation and CONFIDENCE.

But it's cool to have so many choices in flies!

CS