Skagit casting from a tube

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jiminsandiego, Nov 28, 2017.

1. wanative

wanative Active Member

I caught the spey bug too last fall and purchased an entire 7wt outfit.
    Unfortunately I'm nursing a bad case of rotator cuff tendonitis in my left shoulder currently and can't fish at all for a while.

It looks so cool to see an accomplished spey caster look almost effortless as the line appears to come alive and fly gracefully across the water to a distant target.
    It is certainly not as easy as it looks either, at least for this wannabe!

Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Buzzy likes this.
  2. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Active Member

Lots of good input that is very helpful for a guy trying to get a clue about this stuff. Thanks, Jim

wanative likes this.
  3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I do mostly two types of fishing, spey casting for steelhead in the fall and winter, and lake fishing spring through fall. I love spey casting on the river, it is fun and relaxing. However, I find spey casting on a lake to be quite clunky. I have a 4 weight trout spey with an Ambush line which can be spey casted a country mile. But the line is much heavier than the classic 4-5 weight lines I use and just not “fun” like it is on moving water. So I use it infrequently as I like to have “fun” fishing.

Wayne

wanative likes this.
  4. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Hey Jim lot of the Spey MOVES involves current to help perform them where is the current on STILLWATER

Earl bentley and wanative like this.
  5. Jiminsandiego

Lue, It seems that the short Skagit heads use what is referred to as Sustained Anchor Systemology. Using the "grip" that the water has on the line to load the rod. The guy I saw on Pass Lake the other day was using (very effectively) a cast they call the "Perry Poke". I've been watching a lot of videos and Skagit casting does appear to be an option for Stillwater casting.

6. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I guess I got put in my place I need to come fish with you and learn that Perry Poke move with the fishing luck I have been having:D

wanative and Steve Kokita like this.
  7. Jiminsandiego

Heck Lue I always like to hear what you have to say (given me some valuable advice). These OPST heads are designed to use on rod weight down to 2 or 3 and I bet that 10' 4 wt would be ideal. They can also be used on rods as short as 6' (even bamboo) and allow you to throw bigger flies with lighter weight rods. All I know is that the guy at Pass gave me something to think (learn) about and the videos look very cool.

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Ha-ha, I saw the title and though you were in the Skagit River in a tube...LMAO

ceviche and Steve Kokita like this.
  9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

not much worse ideas then taking tubes into rivers.

in regards to the OP question about how far a good caster can cast from a tube...

with the right line and rod to suit there casting style, 50-70 feet should be achievable with only one false cast on a intermediate or sinking line.

first, retrieve to the heads shooting point. then, lift the rod high and and roll cast the head out in front to bring the line and fly to the surface. as soon as it lays out, make one double haul cast and shoot the head. if the head is say, 30 ft, you should be able to shoot another 30-40 feet of line no problem.

Roper likes this.
  10. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

that said, i almost never cast more then 40 feet when im in my tube

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

That’s about 95 percent of my casts on lakes...

12. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Roper - 40', really? Just messing with ya. You can cast more than 40'. I've seen it on turtle bay.... you didn' t look me up for that other hotspot. I'll stick with ya next time on the trip across the lake, depending on the wind.

MB

13. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Ha, I meant the method not the distance...

Rusty Relic bay...follow me...

14. Jiminsandiego

Great info for me on this thread. Thanks folks

15. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Ok Jim....I've been drinking so take this advise with a grain of salt.....seems to me like you're trying to stuff 150 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag! Too much info! This May 23rd will only be 52 years of fly fising for me so I'll be the first one to acknowledge I don't know much yet....I'm still learning, so you need to really try to master one thing at a time. 40' casts with a wet line stripped to your tube is covering the water efficiently. With a tube you can get closer to the fish without super long casts and spooking fish.
    But if you insist on spending more $ on river gear for stillwaters....go for it....my .02

And any splashing spey Poke casting.....do it at least 200 yards away from me!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    NW_flyfisher and Lue Taylor like this.