Skagit casting from a tube

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jiminsandiego, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I agree with Steve if the fish are out of reach of your fly on the river or lake MOVE CLOSER NOT CAST A COUNTRY MILE:rolleyes:

2. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Active Member

Today I found a pair of wading boots at the thrift store ($15). Long over do, but now I can practice casting (at a beach 3 blocks from my home) when I don't have time to go fishing. ( I might even get a Flounder or Greenling.) Nevertheless, Dustin's input proved to be very helpful. I was happy to learn that I could actually roll cast farther than I expected and combining that with using my (awkward) attempts with a double haul I saw definite improvement.In So Cal they would say "This forum Rocks dude" but I'll just say thanks again folks. Jim

wanative likes this.
  3. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

Just a little "poke". Go fishing and practice what you have learned here. Distance comes with practice and like several have mentioned, casting 40 feet is more than enough to catch fish, if you can't hit the bank, move in closer.

4. Jiminsandiego

Ok Steve.. I will happily admit that I have been trying to stuff 150 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag my entire life. I typically over think, over anylize and take things to the extreme. That being said, in the 50 years I have been fishing, one thing I have learned is that new methods are often effective and worthy of experimentation. Drop shoting for Large Mouth Bass was once an unheard of technique. I only wish I was familiar with it when I was 12 years old. Perhaps using a Skagit head from a tube is a fools folly, but if I can roll cast a heavy fly 40 feet, perhaps it is worth investigating. I have extreme respect for people like you that have put in the time, and take time to help newbies like me, but I am hoping that you will forgive me for seeking shortcuts, as I do not have 52 more years to get better at fooling those big Browns on Pass lake.

wanative and Buzzy like this.
  5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

How many years have you been flyfishing/fly casting Jim? Let's start here....or get a bigger bag!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  6. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Jim you are spending way too much time thinking that equipment will help you catch more fish, Maybe you should take a day or two off of fishing start watching. Paying more attention to the person that is catching fish what he is doing, what bugs are hatching, time of day, cloudy, bright, overcast with sun, temp, where you got a hit or tap to your fly, how deep. what line sink rate, moving slow, fast, not moving shit that is just the beginning you will be fishing lot more years still wondering why the fish are not liking your fly even the pros have a bad day or two:(. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT KEEP A JOURNAL OF YOUR OUTINGS ON THE WATER WHERE YOU FISH.

7. Jiminsandiego

Lue, as always, you are spot on. A journal in my truck will be my next piece of "equipment" and I wish I had used one for the last few months. A couple of months ago you were anchored up, in an area (at Pass) that I would not have considered. I was catching but thought it was worth the effort to try and see what you were doing. I kicked out as close as I dared and ,simply put, spied on you. One thing I can say for sure is that I am most appreciative of the guidance that you guys have graciously given. A long time ago I was introduced to the the term FNG ( f.......new guy) Well I can tell you all that being the FNG sometimes can be a challenge. Cheers and thanks, Jim

8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

:rolleyes: