Skagit heads - origin

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Manimal, May 9, 2009.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    LOL, this thread is hilarious. You all said it pretty good. Thanks Coach, you said pretty much what I was gonna say. My Uncle used the system that Dennis used (as Manimal described) up until his death in 1974. Have a picture of him with some Puyallup River steelhead circa 1965 that he caught using the system (he only flyfished). It's what I learned to fish on back in 1980 when I first took up the flyrod. Still have an old 9wt that has the markings for a shooting head system (and this is an early ferralite fenwick).

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

He also discovered 2 colors previously unknown to the human race: blue and purple.

They were there for so long but nobody noticed!

3. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

dont get me started on the cop car! i was in one before dennis was , ooops!, i mean i tied one long before cop cars were around, they still had to make chase with ponies! bows and arrows shit...six shooters, deerhide pants . i fished them on the lhasa river perched atop my prayer rock, about the time of the 6th dynasty, xinchou province:)
    bhudda-the inventor of lhasa casting w/ shooting heads!

4. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I am just gonna chuckle along with you guys for the first time..

5. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Rio doesn't make any of us do anything. There are still plenty of guys chopping and glueing fly lines.

I have cast Mr Dixson's "invention". As with many of the same type of shooting head setups it goes very well. That being said I don't believe it's skagit casting or a skaji setup. Maybe I'm just not old enough to remember.:)

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

We pick our spey lines partly because of the circumstances of a certain location, but also because of our preferences in timing and rythym. The first time you successfully cast a mini-skagit head out from under the briar patch at your back is a revelation. The first time you realize that you can pick up 90 feet of long belly line with your 16-footer is another kind of revelation.

Casting concentrated weight is a kind of mechanical efficiency, and a skagit line is far down the continuum toward the ultimate in concentrated weight: a baitcasting rod with a heavy sinker or lure. Stretching the weight out over more feet allows us to enjoy the rythyms of how the casting stroke harmonizes with our minds and nervous systems. (It's like sex: sometimes you want it to last two minutes, sometimes two hours; but most of the time we're best served with something in between).

7. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Ironically, Forks has a lot of vampires now. It's a good place to start :)

8. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Cop car? All you need is a dead rabbit. Tie it on whole, put a stinger hook and you are ready to go. Oh yeah and peg a bead right above the rabbit....the fish will think the rabbit is going to get it.

9. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    May I call you Smart Arse?! Poppy.:thumb: That's a great point!!

11. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Never worked for me back east.

Bard,
    cds

12. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    I agree with Coach on this one....... I aint mac'n to a hoofie 'cus I fly fish :D

13. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I respectfully call double bullshit on you. East Coast women longing for a fishing bum in their lives? No way and that's where I stand on this one.

14. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    I think chuckngear is using a analogy:D... if you have a long rod (spey rod), you are more likely to win...:rofl:

15. they love the long rod back east. coach ill open up every girl in nyc tonight with "hey i fly fish wanna f*ck" and illk get back to you with the results.