Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skagit/Sauk float books?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  jcskagit 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any good books that describe the classic floats on the Skagit/Sauk? I just acquired a pontoon boat and would like to read-up on the holes, history and fishing opportunities that are available on this great river system. I’ve read Dec Hogan’s article in Northwest Fly Fishing (summer 99) and it has really sharpened my interest in learning more about the river. Thanks!

G
#4 ·
Jus a word of warning in light of the recent flooding. Be very careful on these rivers after a period of high water. This is especially true of the Sauk as it is known to change course easily and often times logjams and sweepers are left which can create very dangerous conditions.

#6 ·
I will second that statement about being careful. The Sauk will drop sweepers across the river at any time. I am not so sure a pontoon boat is a good idea unless it is top notch. There have been several threads on this and there is a lot of info. The Sauk is not for the inexperienced!

Dave

#7 ·
Sweepers are trees that have fallen accross the river. Needless to say, you don't want to get your boat caught on one as the force of the current will push you against the tree and you'll end up flipping your boat.

G
#8 ·
Not a stupid question at all. Skinny nailed the what. As for how, it is best to check with someone that knows the river and has up to date reports. It is also a good idea to pull off and scout blind corners and when sweepers are there, stay away from them. In addition to what Skinny said, they have a habit of sucking boats under them and not letting them out. There was at least one driftboat lost on the upper Sauk last spring. Thankfully the two fishermen only got wet.

#12 ·
Sweepers are the most dangerous of obstacles one finds on a river, I think. The boat and its occupants will be pushed under the sweeper by the force of the current. The limbs underneath will catch the boat and the people therein and a loss of equipment will occur. And, oh yea, I forgot to mention: there will be a few dead folks here and there.
Bob, the T'ain't funny MaGee!x(

#15 ·
Both rivers, the Sauk and the Skagit will be an adventure this year.

There will be huge changes to the Sauk. New runs to find and fish. Old runs gone. I am really looking forward to exploring the Sauk more this spring. I was up at Government Bridge on the Sauk last week during the first flood and it was a sight I will not forget soon. The river is amazing in its rage. I have visited the Sauk during floods before but I am always awed at its power each time.

The Skagit's changes will be fairly dramatic also. With record flows during this flood there will be runs gone, new ones formed and changes through out the river. Again, I look forward to fishing this new river this spring.

As far as floating either river after these big floods. Take no chances. If there is a question about a section of water, beach the boat and walk it. Talk to others who have floated sections before you. Keep your eyes open and pay attention. The river is merciless.

G
#16 ·
The Sauk below the Suiattle (prior to the floods) was mostly class 1 water. Depending on flow though, there are three or four areas to be concerned about. There are two rapids with decent standing waves to worry about. Line up proper and you are fine, miss the line up and you are in deep doodoo. There are also a couple of boulder gardens that, especially at low water, can be quite challenging in a driftboat. Now with the floods, I would expect some changes and these could be good or very bad.

#17 ·
Wonder what that area of the Sauk named after castor canadensis will be like? Remember, it was formed by the last big flood. I suspect the area might be completely changed again.

The rapids before native will be interesting to see if changed. I think this may be one you speak of which a person can get into some doo. I was able, not by choice, to actually put some air under a pontoon boat in this section.

As I stated before it will be fun to explore the new river.

#18 ·
A good book to have is Jeff Bennett's "Guide to the Whitewater Rivers of Washington." If the float you're thinking of doing is in it, you might want to read about it from a whitewater boater's perspective. Then, you might want to consider your skills, the river level and weather conditions (like, you probably don't want to flip your boat on the Sauk in February).

As an example, the Sauk between the Whitechuck R. and Darrington WAS a serious class IV whitewater run. Not really a good fishing float, especially in winter. Definitely not canoe water unless you're a whitewater pro, literally. You'd be better off wearing a wetsuit and a helmet up there, as opposed to fishing garb.

Below Darrington it WAS ok, with a couple of class II spots and a few obstacles to miss. Now, after the floods, it's pretty much unknown, with the likelihood being that it's going to be much more technical than it was before.

Misc. River Dangers: As Bob said, fresh sweepers plop into the rivers at random. Keep you eyes open and on the water ahead. Watch for eddies to bail into. Scout anything that looks challenging. Etc.

Sweepers have a companion danger known as "Strainers" - these are branches, etc. in the water that act as a sieve. The water pressure will pin you against them and you'll be toast. Many whitewater boaters have been killed by strainers. Often, if there are lots of trees/brush in the water it's safest not to swim for shore and to instead float mid-stream (PFD) and wait for your buddy to rescue you - you are floating with a buddy, right? Better yet, a buddy with a throw-bag to help reel you in.

Lastly, (nobody does this) wear your stupid PFD while you're floating. Then, take it off when you get out to fish a pool. The Yakima canyon in summer is one thing, but Wetside rivers in winter are a whole different story. Consider what it'd mean to capsize your boat, given the conditions. Also, on the plus side, a PFD adds insulation that helps keep you warmer anyways. If you're serious about floating, go buy a kayaker's PFD. They're constructed for maximum arm mobility.

The Sauk is/was a relatively dangerous river. The Skagit was far more mellow. Try that first. It's where the Sauk fish come from anyways.

Cheers!

DP:thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.