skagit vs. the world.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Feb 4, 2011.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Really?!

Open up another thread and trash talking about another LOCKED thread from the other forum? in public?

Why not just go THERE and open up another thread? Most interested audiences are there... from east, west, and atlantic group...

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yuhina,

Yeah, it is a little bit like when talk radio gets its fodder from other talk radio, and then that radio show gets its fodder talking about what the other show had to say about its stories, and back and forth and back and forth. Kinda' cheap and cheezy. But each forum has a slightly different constituency, and you get to see a topic from another perspective some times.

Sg

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Well, it's no surprise that topics like that heat up over there. There are folks on there who have literally pushed the industry, resulting in the rods and more importantly lines we're fishing today. To say they are "really into the gear" doesn't begin to describe it. And we should be grateful.

4. guybg

guybg New Member

Was Voldemort a spey caster...and were any of his horcruxes disguised as old Hardy or Dingle reels?...lol

(sorry, couldn't help myself...):rolleyes:

5. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

Is this really worth the energy? Fish what works for you and your casting style. I would encourage everyone to become good at casting all different types of lines just to improve your ability. But when is comes down to it do what feels good, that is what it is really all about.

6. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

iagreeiagreeiagree No balls to chime in over there that's why it was started here....

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I just looked at it last night, mark. Its been closed for I don't know how long. If you want to start shot, like you usually do, go ahead

8. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

I don't start shot pan...you do. I said it was over... your the one who continues...analize that!

9. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

You remind me of myself a bit Mark, my condolences !
    They only get pissed when yer get'n warm :rofl: BWAHAHA !!

10. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Active Member

ditto paul:

i'm with you with this one, "except might not look as nice". a 7wt 9ft single handed rod is and should be the only rod for stilly IMHO.. catching a fish under 15lb on a spey rod is a little over kill,(remind of a meat rod).. on the other hand, a single handed you are in a fight of your life even if it a 5 pounder..

11. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

That's GOOD to hear and yup it can...around some of the S rivers it's a bitch trying to get the backcast room and i.e. why the line was invented partially and weight and tips the other...swing a classic on ANY line or rod stands up pretty big in my book so panties un knotted...though it felt more like a thong...

you should check out Wallers two dvd set of steelhead fishing...The first dvd is all single hand from way back in the day and I still learned more from that dvd about steelheading today then any other dvd I've watched in a long time....Second one is Ok...great eye candy up on the babine and you get to see Bob Clay who's my new hero....but he explains why he went with a spey rod over the single hander in it and it makes sense....

I guess what is lost in this whole silly argument is the fact that some of us use all of these different lines and systems...including single handers on some small systems with summer runs...Kind of sucks skating a bug on a 15' leader with a skagit...sure it can be done...but why...equally why stand out there with your mid belly and an 10' section of sink tip and weighted fly and pretend that your being a "real" spey fisherman when a skagit and sinktip will do the job so much easier?

All systems, rods, lines, presentations..take some time to learn..but all are equally rewarding when used in the proper method.....Part of the appeal to me in this sport is that we have enough choices to make it interesting and normally whichever one I'm fishing at the time becomes my favorite....Was hard to put away the fall favorite and long leader with small tubes grease lining or skating bugs for summer runs and take up the skagit again for winter fish...but after a bit I got in the rhythm of that system and it's the ticket for now...

It's all good...wasting time pissing in the wind of this argument is just a way to kill time for guys who don't fish much and got nothing better to do...IMHO!!!

Thank god the weekend is upon us....I feel better already...and guybg I will share a sip or two with you..but can't promise I won't throw rocks at you if you hook something behind me....:)

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

The long rod is about presentation, and casting. A shorter rod let's you put more leverage on the fish. Don't believe me ask the bluewater gear guys. 80/120 class tuna rods tend to be around 5'6" for a reason. So if anything you should change your argument to "it's harder on the fish because the fight lasts longer with a spey rod". Have you ever caught a 15lb fish on a spey rod? Not saying you don't qualify as a steelheader if you haven't. But it does mean you should experience it before you dismiss it as unsporting.

To each his own. I think the whole theme of this thread is: I'll let you use your choice in gear anywhere you want. You let me use my mine.

I'll just let the "on the other hand, a single handed you are in a fight of your life even if it a 5 pounder.." go... Oops... I guess I didn't... Can't help it... I landed a 7 pounder on a single hander last week and my life flashed before my eyes so I'm Carpein' the crap out of every Diem!

13. guybg

guybg New Member

lol..Fair enough!:thumb:

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

you do realize not all spey rods are 15' 10 wts?

15. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Golfy:

Mid belly: 4-4.5 X rod length .

12.5' rod with a delta plus tip , in the trees, or my back against a high bank, or on a classic open gravel bar, no pretending required....