Skater design

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
What advantage does any other fly have over a riffle hitched EHC? I am sure some of you catch a lot more fish than me. What are the advantages of different fly types?

Go Sox,
cds

Big EHC should work great to make a big commotion visible from further away

Foam keeps a fly riding higher
Foam lip lets you make a better "twitch/pop" action as you skate the fly

Haven't you seen the sick N Umpqua footage from skagit master 2?

A big size 4 EHC with an orange body is money in the late summer/ fall

Rob Allen

Curious what hook some of y'all fly fishermen tie your skaters on and also your thoughts on shape of the lip (talking foam here) to keep your flies up and fishing in some more "questionable" water?

I've been tying most of mine (including deer hair grease liners and muddlers) on Tiemco 8089 and been pretty happy but curious about alternatives, including tubes which previously I've only used for my big dirty water skaters. Thanks.

steelhead caddis is all you need size 6 7989

Foam skaters open up a lot more water for you to fish with a dry fly. I can fish more varied water more aggressively with foam which can be an important trigger at times. I've landed a couple popping and twitching skaters but I usually reserve that for second pass after boiling a fish or certain types of funky water (buck dungeons). It doesn't seem too effective on the rivers I fish. But otherwise I do like a little extra speed on the fly. But to answer your question, probably could stick to steelhead caddis, muddlers and grease liners and target the water they like and raise fish often enough. I love skaters I wait all year for this so if I can make the dry fly fish better in more pieces of water I'm all about that action boss. Plus I have a really really hard time tying a hair wing on the end of my leader knowing in the back of my mind that they might eat a skater.

inland

Foam skaters open up a lot more water for you to fish with a dry fly. I can fish more varied water more aggressively with foam which can be an important trigger at times. I've landed a couple popping and twitching skaters but I usually reserve that for second pass after boiling a fish or certain types of funky water (buck dungeons). It doesn't seem too effective on the rivers I fish. But otherwise I do like a little extra speed on the fly. But to answer your question, probably could stick to steelhead caddis, muddlers and grease liners and target the water they like and raise fish often enough. I love skaters I wait all year for this so if I can make the dry fly fish better in more pieces of water I'm all about that action boss. Plus I have a really really hard time tying a hair wing on the end of my leader knowing in the back of my mind that they might eat a skater.
Fly design with deer hair can match everything the foam bugs do. A shovel head muddler, hitched behind the head will plane through everything the foam bugs do. Joe Howell sold these for use on his home river. There isn't a spot on that river where they get drowned anymore than does a foam skater. The big difference is how hard they are to tie in comparison. Steelhead caddis/muddlers/mooseturds and other bombers/grease liners/bulkley mouse/etc do not (as you already know and noted) stay up in that 'iffy' water you are describing like the foam/shovel head stuff does.

bconrad

I like the down eye hooks, used to use the Tiemco 5262 but they quit making the bigger ones. Not sure what ill use after i run out of my existing stock of hooks.

I just tie the Umpqua style foam dome, a couple things I've found that seem to make them fish better are a moose tail, and a generous foam lip. I like yellow foam cause you can see it in almost any light condition.

Rob Allen

Fly design with deer hair can match everything the foam bugs do. A shovel head muddler, hitched behind the head will plane through everything the foam bugs do. Joe Howell sold these for use on his home river. There isn't a spot on that river where they get drowned anymore than does a foam skater. The big difference is how hard they are to tie in comparison. Steelhead caddis/muddlers/mooseturds and other bombers/grease liners/bulkley mouse/etc do not (as you already know and noted) stay up in that 'iffy' water you are describing like the foam/shovel head stuff does.

and they don't spin..... the problem with popping and twitching is that it puts down every fish it doesn't catch thus ruining chances for the next guy to come along.

Sean-

I was up on the Skeena chasing Chinook earlier this summer but spent a lot of time talking to the guides about steelhead including skating flies on the tribs. They mostly used foam-bodied flies tied on tubes with the junction tubing extended slightly longer than normal for almost a stinger effect.

Just another data point. Best of luck.

inland

and they don't spin..... the problem with popping and twitching is that it puts down every fish it doesn't catch thus ruining chances for the next guy to come along.

Rob,

I am not a big fan of the twitching/popping for my own fishing, have found skating the old way works just fine. But I seriously doubt the chugging does anything to the fish that any other surface presentation doesn't. Since it seems 95% of anglers are chugging down there, does that mean all the fish are permanently put down in the river? How does anyone ever catch anything there??? I 'get it' that those fish can be, at times skittish and easily spooked. Not sure how chugging is any worse than screechy caulks, loud wading staff, highly visible silhouette, line splashes and an endless line of anglers moving through the pools? I have coached my son through a couple of scenario's while I was standing on the road. We chugged, fished wet, old school waker...all of which incited a response but no take. The regular old wet moved them more often and higher in the water column than did both skating and chugging. On those days, for those particular fish, at that moment in time...the good old riffle hitched wet. They could not help themselves. Chugging didn't do a damn thing to spook those fish or the other visible non-takers anyway.

William

Jmills81

The Dude Abides
Rob,

I am not a big fan of the twitching/popping for my own fishing, have found skating the old way works just fine. But I seriously doubt the chugging does anything to the fish that any other surface presentation doesn't. Since it seems 95% of anglers are chugging down there, does that mean all the fish are permanently put down in the river? How does anyone ever catch anything there??? I 'get it' that those fish can be, at times skittish and easily spooked. Not sure how chugging is any worse than screechy caulks, loud wading staff, highly visible silhouette, line splashes and an endless line of anglers moving through the pools? I have coached my son through a couple of scenario's while I was standing on the road. We chugged, fished wet, old school waker...all of which incited a response but no take. The regular old wet moved them more often and higher in the water column than did both skating and chugging. On those days, for those particular fish, at that moment in time...the good old riffle hitched wet. They could not help themselves. Chugging didn't do a damn thing to spook those fish or the other visible non-takers anyway.

William

Well, I'll say that this could be....but not always the case. On several occasions, i've raised and caught multiple fish from the same run on chug bug