Skating Flies for Trout...?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Thomas Williams, May 16, 2013.

1. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

I use a turks turantulla for sea runs. I will also strip it across the surface of eddys for some pretty violent takes.

2. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

383103_4764466512099_1052800361_n.jpg
    This worked on Sunday

orangeradish likes this.
  3. FT

FT Active Member

Just don't use a skated caddis imitation when the spotted sedge is out on the Missouri, Big Hole, Big Horn, Yellowstone, Bitterroot, Blackfoot, or Clark's Fork rivers. For if one does use a skated imitation of a spotted sedge on these (and many other rivers such as the upper Delaware in New York and Pennsylvania, or even the Yakima) rivers one may be surprised by the number of trout one will hook.

Naw. On second thought, one should never use a skated spotted sedge imitation every on any river because everyone knows that fish get spooked by drag and a skating fly has so much drag it isn't funny.

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

The first time I saw this work was the fist time I fished the Yakima. We were drifting and I tossed a Royal wolf under a tree into water slower than we were drifting, as drag set in and the fly was dragged out, a bug bow began chasing the fly slashing at it with abandon. It was quite exciting, to say the least.

5. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

I sort of fell into this a few years ago on Fish Lake near Cheney. Caught bass on dries as I was unintentionally skating them in. I switched to a very large Sofa Pillow (see attached) perhaps size 4 or 6. Caught several 12-14 inch brookies on that fly.

If a 12 inch brook trout will chase a skated fly that big I know it works. I'll skate what I have now from time to time and it definitely works for me. Dito on the Stimulators too.

Attached Files:

6. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

A mouse pattern below Holter dam at night...

7. FT

FT Active Member

During 10 of the 12 years I lived in Montana, I caught quite a few large trout (and had many truly huge ones break off 15lb tippets) below Holter Dam at night. None of them were ever hooked with a mouse though. All of them were hooked on large sculpin (as in 2/0 or 3/0) imitations or Zonkers fished with a type 4 sinking 30' shooting taper on a 9' or 10' 8 or 9 wt rod.