Skating/waking a dry success rate

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Luke77, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Thanks golfman65! You got my wheels turning. I am going to have to tie something similiar to what you posted.

2. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

What smalma said about moving fish really rings true for me personally and certainly wasn't a factor I had given thought to. The "day of days" Evan and I had last fall surely falls into that category. A day ill never forget.

Anyone ever fish dries outta the boat on the move for them? Certain rivers they eat the shit outta the indicator I plan on tossin a chubby around this fall and seeing what happens. Just for grins.

4. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Put it on and leave it on,fish it with confidence.....you will see results.

golfman65 likes this.
  5. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

The only time I use tubes is when I find a fish that taking short. With a tube I can adjust how far back the hook sits. Second row is what I use 90% of the time wakers.jpg

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I like those dime-sized foam bodied flies. Kinda like the bigger ones I've been using I got from The Fly Shop (Idelwilde ska-hoppers?). I think some of those in dark (Black/blue) and tan/orange (for the Oct. Caddis) would really be the ticket on the upper T.

7. inland

inland Active Member

The best conditions to fish one are when you want. You aren't looking for anything 'perfect', just the twinge to fish them. I skate/wake maybe 15% of the time. Success wise they kick ass. There are days when the fish chew them to pcs, where wets aren't showing anything. There are days when wets pick up fish the waker isn't producing. And days in-between. A good friend, the 'best' steelhead angler I know or ever will know, spent several seasons fishing the deschutes with nothing but wakers. His conclusion? It all evens out over a season. Some days are waker days. Some are not. You sure as hell do not need wild or unpressured fish to get them up. There are no unpressured summer fish in the lower 48. Some less pressured. Of course others are insanely persued. Those fish continue to take dries as well as any other fly fished on a dryline.

The only method I prefer to waking is hitching wets. Similar takes. Similar method.

8. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

How did you get the head to do that on those flies? (second row)

p.s. for all the hell you went through with the hip, those drugs must have done something right..I don't remember seeing your ties near as nice as they are now...

9. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

golfman -
    While I don't know how ralifsh formed his "wobble heads" on those flies I fished very similar patterns a lot 30 years ago and the way I did it was to leave the hair in front of the wing long at the first triming. I would then coat that hair in head cement or epoxy squeeze it flat and before totally dry trim to shape.

His photos are pretty clear as to the appropriate shape (a round and flatten planning face that extends to hook eye or slightly beyond). An effective way to tie a sparse pattern that will wake very nicely while under prssure. Depending on the tie I found such patterns to be extremely effective in a wide variety of conditions - every thing from near-white water riffles to slow flats.

To the original questions on the "S" rivers I found waking/Skating patterns to at least as effective as the traditional wet fly patterns from the time th snow melt run-off starts dropping on into the fall until the rains bump the flows to levels consistently above the summer/early fall lows; typically form mid-July through late September with several weeks extenson possible depending on conditins.

Tight lines
    Curt

10. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

"the ticket on the upper T"

Robert, if you are thinking the Norcal T, try a sparse silver hilton with a tiny foam head. Thats the most successful fly I had for skating down there.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

think i read it here, about using a Sequin in front of the fly will get it to wake.
    haven't tried it myself.

12. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I started fishing dead drift drys in the 70s on the Stilly and it got to the point where I felt confident fishing behind my buddy with a sinking line, I just caught and rose more fish. I quit steelies for a few years and then started trying skaters on the DesChutes. They really came to them! Now I like to try them most of the time. I still believe they raise more fish than the sunken fly. If the fish comes back but I can't seem to hook him on the skater, I sin and go to a normal fly on the floating line. I'm talking summer here, not cold water conditions, and not pocket water (you'll do better with a nymph and bobber). There is a phsycological side to the whole thing though, if you don't think it will work, it won't!

13. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Golfy, you just ever saw the chewed ones lol...

The head is simply flared out. I tie mostly with moose hair as it is quite durable compared to deer or elk. Stack, check for length, pinch the clump and trim the butts, locate it on the hook, two loose wraps then tighten it down. Tie off and do the final trim. I usually don't ''goop'' the heads on the second row style of bugs, though if you look at the last row (click on the pic for macro) first one on the left, its gooped.

14. JS

JS Active Member

Here is the result of the other nights session at the vice......can't wait to put more time behind the skater this year. Thanks for the inspiration g_smolt!

FSK1.jpg FSK2.jpg FSK3.jpg

15. generic

generic Active Member

I'm only one for four. But like Evan said, you have to leave it on I think. I get too impatient, thinking that I won't catch anything.