Skookum Pontoon Boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Chicotello, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Great white hunter

Great white hunter New Member

Home Page:
    I would like to add to what Jerry said as he is right on spot, Also for the standard consumer that actually does manage to damage his frame, finding a welder that can weld aluminum and has any knowledge of how to correctly repair the damage is going to be fairly difficult as well as finding the correct material to do the job. Aluminum must be replaced when damaged, the galvanized is much easier to find the material, find someone that can do the job, and can be field bent in a emergency with alot of the original integrity intact

2. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

I have a custom made steel frame for my 11' foot pontoon boat and would never trade it in for aluminum. It will take on any class III and if your skilled most class IV rapids with my 20" diameter tubes.

Keep on rowing,

3. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing Member

I enjoyed reading this thread. I own the skookum guide II and agree with Jerry D one hundred percent. I have hundreds of hours on the river and often float with a partner. We'll take turns fishing and manning the oars. If I do go alone, I might try floating a fly while rowing, if I know the river and the CFS allows.

I'd never float in an aluminum frame. In my opinion they're for lakes. In fact, many of them will tell you that if you read the fine print. Skookum's frame have another feature which I like. He uses a strap in the front to bind it and give it a little flex, in the event you should smack a rock, and we all do, this strap will save a weld joint, so I'm told. Also, the tubes will ride a standing wave like nothing else I've seen, even NRS.

Can you tell I like these crafts?

4. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

I almost bought a skookum because of their design and ability to do it all. However, I did build a custom pontoon boat based on the skookum products and had one of the premier frame builders help me out. It is for sale in the classifieds.

5. Adicuss

Adicuss New Member

Anybody have a good used Skookum for sale?

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    What you looking for 10 ft single? 12 ft double? Trailer? All the gear?

7. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I'm not the original poster but I've seriously been thinking about a steelheader or guide double. If I could get a used late model in good condition, all the better!

8. Adicuss

Adicuss New Member

Looking for 10ft single with all the gear if availbale.... and I have the trailer.
    If you have a double, I might be interested.

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Really? I'll trade you some skookum tubes (Maxxon) for NRS's any day of the week!!!!!

10. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing Member

I can't, the NRS I'm thinking of isn't mine to trade. *grin* Although it's a great river work horse, it belongs to our fire department as the swift-water rescue raft. I associate that with work and Skookum with fun.

11. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Might I add that the same pontoons that Skookum and Badcat uses can be aquired at the Maxxon dealer in Kent, WA for $385 (for a pair of 12' long 20.5" diameter) grey tubes. google maxxon.us and give them a call. I just got some a month ago directly from their, great price.
    J

12. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing Member

that is an amazing price! Thanks for the tip.

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I just bought Spslpet's 10' Steelheader, due to cfs/clarity on my home waters haven't taken it out for a spin yet...
    but I have a very groovy feeling coming on....
    heh heh
    Bob

14. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

thats why i have a xstream 10 footer jerry, steel frame, bad ass and i can beat the hell out of it and she still loves me before i go to bed :) glad i didnt sell it....

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I use a custom whitewater frame on my steelheader Bhudda. Gives me a wider stance, and the guy who built it 20 years ago was a welder and whitewater guide. So had the best of both worlds when he built it. Now, if I'd only thought about fishing catarafts back then. I'd had him build it with my anchor mounts. LOL. It's my rowers frame for my old guide boat. Works great on the 10' tubes and setup with pin/clips so can run it as a true play boat when I feel like it. :)