Small flies for Coho

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Wallace, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

There you go

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

As some may recall I spend a fair amount of time chasing sea-run cutthroat on the various "S" rivers (for decades) and one thing I noticed was I was getting a fair amount of coho by-catch on my cutthroat flies. Have taken coho on virtual every cutthroat flies in my box. Have had some multiple fish days and even some double digit days of coho as cutthroat by-catch. So it is only natural that when I want to target coho I do so with mostly cutthroat flies. Have found having cuttrhoat flies (spiders etc) in a couple sizes in a variety of colors as well as handful of flashier flies (both small and large) as a change of pace presentation and I'm good to go for coho.

While I have taken coho with floating and sinking lines though I usually open for a sinking line; usually some sort of slower sinker. That is due in at least part to my general dislike of fishing with weighted flies though such flies flished on a floating line can be effective and provides additional presentation possibilities.

Skyrise -
    While I don't often fish the Snohomish for coho any more when I did I had reasonable success with smaller flies - mostly spiders. The fishing has gotten so popular it is now pretty hard to find undistrubed coho to throw flies at hard.

Had best success along migration edges that concentrated the moving fish, the frog water and the wood. The last few times (up until 3 years ago) I fished the river had reasonable success by fishing my flies from an anchored boat on the last of the flood along a sand lip where the moving fish were flunneled as they move upstream out of deeper water. As with gear don't be afraid to fish your flies when the river is off colored. It seems to me that you get better reaction bites (the key to the Snohomish fish) in poor visibility conditions.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I posted the above on my way out to a local river to chase some sea-runs.

In the process of the morning's cutthroat fishing I managed to connect with two chrome coho. Both fish crushed black spiders and after a spirited fight and several leaps both were released to conitnued their journey to their spawning grounds. Further testimony to the effectiveness of small/drab flies for in-river coho. While this morning wasn't typical it does happen often enough I'm never surprised when one of my cutts morphs into a coho.

Tight lines
    Curt

4. flyrod2

flyrod2 Member

Love this thread. I still am without my first coho on the fly. this should help me.
    thanks!

5. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I've tied up a ton of Last Call's and Silvey's Sno-Cone's this past few weeks in anticipation of coho to come. Can't wait!

6. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Smalma, ok will keep trying. when i get the boat back in the works, will explore the avenues better that you mention.

7. D Weibel

D Weibel New Member

I had heard about a small fly shop in Sea View, WA a few months ago, so I decided to find the shop when I was there over the long weekend. The shop is owned by Chuck Cameron mentioned in the opening post. He's 81 and still tying flies and fishing the local waters. What a nice gentlemen! The shop is nothing more than small room off the side of his house, but well stocked with his fly tying creations. If you are in the area I recommend you stop by for a visit and to pick up some terrific flies.

8. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I could get a hold of Chuck Cameron for you, he is personal friend of mine. He would be happy to show you that reverse spider, He does have good luck with it.

9. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

One of my favorite coho flies, many a fish has fallen for this one.
    The California Neil tyed on a TMC 9394 #10
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks, rainbow. I plan to look up his fly shop next time I drive down that way. I might go check out a couple of small year-round ponds near there that I've never fished.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Speychucker, Thanks, I like the looks of that. I think it could be done up nicely on a tube, too.

12. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

love to see that do you have a picture of it?

13. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

14. South Fork

South Fork Active Member

Pink. Anywhere from 2-6 inches long, of bunny strips. Or Pollywogs in Pink. Lots of fun.

At least in AK they aren't picky.....

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Superb pattern for Coho, Pinks and Chums off the beach and in estuaries. Also very effective in blue and in a darker green and tied with a red thread head.