Small 'spoons' off the end of a dry line.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Pan, The accuracy I was referring to was the length of line out every cast..... Ok, For bass and a level wind, yes they can hit a bullseye etc all they want, just like with a singlehand fly rod. With a spinning rod, not near as accurate. When covering a run swinging, you arn't "aiming" for anything really, other than maybe a "spot" you have fixated on across the river etc. (of course, I hope you knew that). It's more important to cover the water thoroughly using the same distance of line out every cast. To do that in broad sweeps, if the lenght of line out varies 3-4 feet, plus you stepping down another 3 feet, you could be off 7 feet, coservatively. With a fly line and reel, the line stays out pretty much the exact same distance every time, so you are covering the water better.

fredaevans likes this.
  2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

No I didn't know that. See you do learn something new everyday.:cool:

I don't agree with your casting the same amount of line to cover water better, unless the runs you are fishing are uniform. I tend to rarely cast the same amount of line every cast because of varying water structure, currents,seams, and most importantly-- laziness . I make up the difference in my prepping mend, hence my statement

3. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

What's the difference, 4 inch bunny leach...spoon. I'd say the spoon is probably easier to cast ;).

fredaevans likes this.
  4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Actually it's pretty easy if your a reasonable caster; especially at the shorter of the two numbers. As has been said, you have 'x' amount of line off your reel, if the cast is 'straight' you're out the same distance cast after cast after cast.

Appears you're not familiar with 'spey casting.'

5. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

LOL are you serious. That would be funny as hell to watch. Swing step, Strip out 9 feet, swing-step, Reel in 5 feet, swing-step, pull out another 7 feet, swing-step, pull out another 7 feet, swing-step reel in 12 feet swing step.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beer2:

gotta get a video of that man!

6. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Will are you a big fly hater? :)

7. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

It is my understanding that the wobbler fly (http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesG/gs-wobbler.htm) was designed explicitely to duplicate the action of a spoon. It uses flattened mylar tubing covered with epoxy to provide a lightweight fly with interesting action. They are far more common in the Gulf, but they may be worth a try here.

Steve

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

iagree

I wasn't going to touch the first post with a 10' pole.:rolleyes:

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I’ve only been fishing with a spey rod for two years, so yes, you’re right I am new. I'm certainly not in the league as some of you. I have been steelhead fishing for my entire life with single hander and fish the same way through a run with it, as I would a two-hander. Of course the only difference is distance of cast and mending power. However, I think you misinterpreted my post. I don't cast the same 'PRESISE' amount of line through an entire run. I will cast then do an initial mend to get the swing started where I want it-- achieving a thorough, uniform swing through the run this way. Is that-that unusual? :confused:

For your personal entertainment, I will be at the Clave in September. I'll put on a comedic casting clinic for anyone who needs a laugh. Tall, you get front row.:clown:

10. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Clearly...but I do speak from experience when I say tying them isnt that fun. Oh and I spent about an hour yesterday tying articulated bunny leech, just to satisfy the purist in me ;)

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Sounds like you 'fish' a run pretty much like me. Currents change, etc., and etc. so 'each cast' won't be the same as I may do a 'flop cast' (yes it IS UGLY) to use the same amount of line but a closer/longer dead drift to swing through a section of water. A 'flop cast' is an intentionally 'busted cast' so you end up with a pile of extra line on the water. Then a HUGE upstream mend so the fly(s) have a very long (fly first) dead drift along a current seam.

PH, what 'Clave** are you referring to?

Fred

** 'Clave is the correct spelling; I know as I invented the word. A contraction of 'conclave.'
    ;)

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Poppy's Fred.

13. cnaka

cnaka New member

Forgot my flies one day and just cleaned out my car so no stray flies around. Went to a gas station and bought some Dick Nites. Skagit head and 2-hander handled them without any problems. Kinda twisted my line up though. Not my favorite way to fish, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if in the same situation. Other lesson: don't clean out the car.

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Dah Fred :rolleyes: .... failed to note you're from Sandpoint, ID.

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Did you have (a) swivel (or two) on the leader, or straight off a solid leader?