Small Stream Bamboo Fly Rods

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by fixj, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hi TC, no disagreement at all! You're in a league of bamboo above me! I've just re-done a dozen blue collar ebay rods so far....made some fishing sticks! I'm an old carpenter so maybe one of these years I'll build some bamboo but for now this way is a easy inexpensive way to enjoy and fish bamboo. I do have some classic Hardy's making my bamboo look pretty cool!

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Fixj, Give a serious look at Headwaters' Favorite Santiam 4-wt. I have one, and really love it! So much so, in fact, that I just ordered another one from them; they have a new field grade that's their Deluxe series with one tip.

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Orvis has a neat little 5' 5 wt that is like 2.2 oz. Sweet stick

4. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

I'm bringing back this old thread with a new question. Does anyone have an old Granger 9050 butt & mid they'd sell cheap? I'm on the hunt for them. Here's why...

I recently refinished a Granger Aristocrat 9050. It's a beautiful rod. It has a beautiful taper with dainty little tips and a nice feel…for a 9 footer. But that's the problem…it's a 9 footer and I just won't be happy taking it out unless I bring an ice pack for my wrist. Wimp? Yes. So, I also recently shortened an old South Bend 346 9' rod by shortening the butt from 36" to 25". This brings the length of the rod to just over 8 feet. Long enough to retain most of its original casting feel, but short enough to be a joy to hold and fish. But it turned out to cast just OK...It was fine, but nothing special.

So yesterday I started looking at those beautiful mid and tip pieces from my Granger 9050 and wondered how they'd cast as a shortened 8' rod, especially with the delicate thin tips and that famous Granger taper. Well, the butt ferrule from the 346 fit the Granger 9050 very well, so to the lawn I went with a handful of 5 and 6 wt lines to try my experiment with a 25" butt + 36" Granger 9050 mid + 36" Granger 9050 tip. What I found was a pleasant surprise. This shortened 8' Granger 9050 cast and handled as well as my 8' prized Phillipson. Fast, light in the tip, powerful, and able to keep a good loop, even for this so-so caster. I was casting a 6wt line 70-75' which is about as far as I can cast any of my graphite rods. This one seems to be a real good project to do.

So I'd like to take an old Granger 9050 butt and mid which are laying around needing refinishing and new tips and use them to complete my Granger 9050 shorty. I might make it 8', or I might make it 8-1/2' just short enough to be easy to cast all day but still retaining it's casting heart as originally designed.

If you are wondering what happened to my 9050's butt section, I don't have the heart to chop it. As a Granger I just don't feel its right to hack it up. But if I can find an orphaned butt and mid, so to speak, and adapt them to the shorty approach, I'll turn my 9050 into two rods - a regular 9' and a fun to cast 8 or 8-1/2 footer.

Please let me know if you have one! Ron

Blue likes this.
  5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

That is very interesting, I for one would love to see pictures.
    While in Idaho at the Fly Tying expo, I stopped at the "Sweet Grass" booth and next thing I know, I was out back casting a 6wt 7'9" Quad. I was into the backing of this crappy over used line without breaking a sweat.
    Long story short, they just put the ferrules and are finishing the cork grips...I am so excited!!!!!

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

7. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Blue, congratulations on your Sweet Grass. I tried one at the Lynnwood, WA show. They make great rods! Once I get this shorty 9050 beyond the experimental stage and get it cosmetically finished I'll get pics up. Most folks will never like the looks of one short piece, but it seems to make a heck of a casting rod. Ron

8. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Shortening the butt section could add just enough backbone I would think. People aren't going to like the fact that I was looking for the perfect "Carp" rod....this Quad is it.

9. Alex MacDonald

I'm turning 66 here in a few week's time, and I'm beginning to think about "celebrating"-if you can actually use that term for this occasion-with a new `boo rod. I'd like to keep the cost somewhere around a grand, and get a small stream 3 wt. Either that, or have Sweetgrass rebuild my dad's old Montague Sunbeam 5 wt. Any thoughts, gentlemen?

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Why would you want Sweetgrass (Glenn Brackett) to rebuild a Sears and Roebucks? Does Sweetgrass "rebuild" old other make rods?
    Have them make you one. My quad is costing about that/

11. Alex MacDonald

I see Angler's Roost has some really nice-and cheap-bamboo rods! Do any of you have any experience with these folks?

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Honestly... I have a Zhu bamboo. They are 100% Chinese. It is okay and fishes better than Eagle Claw. But, seriously, your 66th Birthday, get a Sweetgrass...you have lived and worked hard all your life. PLUS they come with a lifetime guarantee.

Kent Lufkin and Alex MacDonald like this.
  13. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Alex,
    I've handled a Angler Roost rod and it appeared to be reasonably well made, although the ferrule fit wasn't ideal. I don't know about the action but they copied a proven taper so it will probably be fine.
    I'm siding with Blue on this and you should consider a locally made rod. Thramer is in Oregon and has a base mode selling for under $800 ( last time I checked) a 2 piece 2tip rod hand made by one of the best. Same goes for the Sweet Grass. If you decide bamboo is not your thing either of these rods have a strong resale value.
    There are lots of people out there who can restore your old rod. I understand the personal bond with the older rod, but strictly from a fishing perspective IMHO the modern bamboo rods will be a better fishing tool.
    Best regards,
    Ray

Blue likes this.
  14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I have several cane rods specifically designed for small streams: an Orvis Ultralight 5'9" staggered ferrule; a Pezon et Michel Midget 6' staggered ferrule; and an Orvis 6'6" Flea 2/2 - all from the early- to mid-1970s. Each was originally designed and built for that length - not cut down from a longer rod.

Despite their short length, each is remarkably powerful, throwing up to 50 feet of line with ease and with great accuracy. I'm primarily a lake fisher, so they only get used every now and then when I spend time wade fishing on streams in Idaho and Montana.

At the WFFC Christmas Party a half dozen years ago, I watched as an early 1970s Winston 6'6" 'Leetle Feller' in excellent condition came up for auction. I sat on my paddle figuring the rod would go for well over a grand and acutely aware that the last thing I needed was to spend a chunk on another short cane rod that I rarely used. It ended up selling for the amazing price of just $350.00, probably because most folks couldn't imagine a need for such a short rod. The guy who bought it got one hell of a bargain.

K

Blue likes this.
  15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Hindsight sucks! lol I have a Penns Creek 2 piece and a Battenkill 3 piece 7' four weight. The two is a little quicker than the three piece.