Smart guns, how stupid are we...?

jersey

livin' the dream
But here's where the whole idea goes south of the Constitution.
In September of last year, Apple introduced a technology that would let police remotely disable protesters iPhones. So if the police think that you might film them while they’re doing their thing, they could set up a “no pictures” zone by sending a wireless signal to disable the smart phone cameras in a certain vicinity.

This situation has already happened; Boston Marathon. Ever wonder why there was only CCTV video coming out of the area? Not only was cell service interrupted, but the local area networks were taken down too. Keep us safe big-brother...

My 2 cents: It's not something I would want, but it's just a high-tech safety device. Seems to me the debate is between it being required or being available. As to required, I think we all agree, no. As to available, what do I care? I choose to lock mine up, I don't insist you do. Leave'em layin' loaded if ya want. The transfer bar on my single action revolver is a high tech safety device, and I like it. It's no affront to my constitutional rights, nor was it mandated by some sinister consipiracy. And I can still shoot myself in the leg if I want, I just need to make a concious effort to do it.

Jeez, guys...

Are we now going to ask for "smart knives" after the 33 people massacred with knives today? Again, its not the tool we need to control, its the crazies wielding them,

Peyton00

My 2 cents: It's not something I would want, but it's just a high-tech safety device. Seems to me the debate is between it being required or being available. As to required, I think we all agree, no. As to available, what do I care? I choose to lock mine up, I don't insist you do. Leave'em layin' loaded if ya want. The transfer bar on my single action revolver is a high tech safety device, and I like it. It's no affront to my constitutional rights, nor was it mandated by some sinister consipiracy. And I can still shoot myself in the leg if I want, I just need to make a concious effort to do it.

Jeez, guys...
2 pages deep and you seem to be the balanced one of the bunch.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Are we now going to ask for "smart knives" after the 33 people massacred with knives today? Again, its not the tool we need to control, its the crazies wielding them,
Might as well add ladders and step stools to the list... among the top 3 offenders contributing to injuries :rolleyes:.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Josh, I understand your passion for technological development, I'm just not in agreement. I'm not so sure our George Jetson or Dick Tracy future is so bright. Who would have thought when wireless telephones first came out that our privacy would be so compromised? NSA snooping, ID thefts, credit card fraud, all are not things I'm thrilled about. I work in an industry that is challenged by and often let down by technology. Often because what was promised was never delivered or was compromised so someone high in the food chain could profit immensely.

Time will tell if my doubt was valid. For now I'll stick with John Browning's technological triumph...and hold most government in suspicion.

I encourage the conversation, please, everyone let's not get personal about it...as sometimes happens here.
I'm fine with "old school" when it comes to my fly rods, reels and guns. Come to think of it, just about every damn thing in my life for that matter. Keeping government and technology out of my business and dictating my life is becoming a challenge.