smith fly and flycraft questions

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Guy Gregory, Nov 19, 2017.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, we have disagreed on a few things over the years but I have always respected your opinion as someone who has been involved in the inflatable world longer than me and I'm humble enough to admit that. ;)

2. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Thanks, folks. Ah, civility.

3. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I've been in the same hunt for a bit and I'm leaning toward the Hooligan (not sure on the XL or not). I wanted the Flycraft for motorability, but the Hooligan will take a 4-6 HP vs just a 2 HP in the Flycraft. Thinking this would be a good boat for rivers (obviously) along with he coastal estuaries out here and SRC in the sound. I would also eventually find a way to fish it nearshore along the Jetty. I figure this could go anywhere a Hobie Kayak could along with the typical river duties. Also the ability to bring it along with our travel trailer is attractive as well.

As attached as I am to the idea of a small motor, I still may take up BDD on that test float.

4. Capn Chicken Man

Capn Chicken Man Member

Aire Puma. 10 year no fault warranty.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Be careful...after your demo ride you'll be asking Ken about putting a motor mount on the SRB and kicking those other two crafts to the curb...or save your pennies for the Aire.

6. Hextall

Hextall New Member

I picked up my hooligan yesterday, and I came into a little money recently so I bought a trailer with it, and I'm glad I did. As you hinted... it's pretty heavy.

My initial plan about putting it on the top of my truck on a roof rack would have been a huge pain if I was to try that alone, and being 13+ feet long with a 5' tacoma bed (plus maybe 2 with the tailgate down), I'm very glad I bought the trailer. I think breaking down the boat is pretty easy (i.e. separating frame from raft), I believe there's 6 straps to connect the raft to the frame, and putting the frame on the rack would have been a bit easier. It did come with a pretty large bag for the tubes and floor for breaking down. My frame is one piece, but apparently they could build one where the frame separates. Not sure if the hooligan frame that separates breaks down as complete as the flycraft (which apparently can be broken down to fit into two large backpacks). I am so glad I got a trailer.

I'll be paddling it probably in the next couple of months. I live in New Hampshire (this forum is one of the few I've ever seen where so many rafts are discussed... so I lurk), and I got a big discount because mine was the floor model at the flyfishing show that just happened yesterday and I avoided delivery charges (stealthcraft is located in Michigan, but they'll deliver nationwide).

At the show, Water Master had a booth (first time I believe at this show) and were showing a 2-person framed raft that looked interesting (called the Bruin), and I would have taken a close look at that when I was looking around a while ago. Their online page of this boat looks a little different than what they had at the show. The Bruin looks like it's in the same class of boats (i.e. size and # of people) as the catchercraft SRB. If I lived in the northwest like virtually all of you, I would have likely taken a much closer look at other offerings like the catchercraft. I'm the kind of buyer who doesn't much like spending all that money without at least seeing something in person and kicking the tubes a little bit.

as a data point... Dave Scadden also had a booth at this show and had his 3 person framed raft along with another 10 or so boats on display. I have a skykomish sunrise, but am ready to move on from Dave Scadden boats, so their stuff wasn't on my check out list.

7. Darby

Darby Active Member

Congrats on getting your Hooligan. Sounds like it's everything you expected. Stealthcraft is suppose to be at one of our shows this year too. Not sure if the Sportsman's this month or the Fly Fishing one next month, but I'm sure they'll have one there check out. Also, good info on the trailer. That's really the only thing I've read about them on reviews, their weight for car-topping. Well, sounds like you got an exciting season this year. You'll have to post some pics and let us know how it performed out in your waters.