Smith's Boat Shop 8' Pram

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by yellowlab, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Jim, I am selling the 10' boat, $750 and it could be showcased in your garage with your want to be pram called the drifter... you might like it so much that in fact your old boat might drift on out.

2. I had the opportunity to water test for the first time my new boat. Let me say that I am a believer in these boats and just amazed at how well they track and how lightweight they are. Its wider than my Spring Creek Classic, lighter, easier to row and more stable. I got a bunch of compliments from other fisherman, something that I rarely or never get in any of my other fiberglass or aluminum boats, with the exception of the Koffler. Yes, there is a bit more work to do with the upkeep, but I'll take it as a labor of love.

3. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    Sure is a nice-looking craft, Paul. I have noticed the same thing about my Hopper II though.... as cool a boat as it is, nobody ever compliments it until they fish out of it. Fact is, it's kind of homely looking. Your Smith's is a work of art.

4. Thanks Michael. Did you end up selling your Hopper recently? Saw that someone was hot to trot from Kienes board.

5. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    He is supposed to buy it this coming weekend. Hope so. After being laid off, I can use the money. I do have the NFO Outlaw Rampage that I will use to fish out of and it's a heck of a lot easier to get into and out of my place in SF.

6. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Paul,

What are the length, bottom width, and gunnel width on the 8 foot boat? Do you feel comfortable standing to cast in it? how do you like the bench seat compared to the pedestal seat in the spring creek?

7. Rob, it measures in at 7'11, gunnel width is 56", which is 4' wider than the SPC Classic and lighter and more stable. I didn't measure the bottom width, but as it sits atop my SPC, you can tell that its visibly wider.I think the sides and the transom height are an 1 or 2" higher as well. I feel a heck of alot more comfortable casting from this platform than the SPC. The SPC is ok, but I've always had some sort of problem with the transom separating from both of my SPC prams. They need to IMO do a better job sealing that portion so that it doesn't separate and rot as a result of water penetration. These are two similar but different application boats. My SPC, can be rough handled and used hard and put away wet. But I have a feeling that I'll spend more time fishing out of the Smith boat. Its just so easy to row and light, at 47 lbs. I don't mind the bench option, as I rarely need to spin around 180 degrees in the SPC. These 8' boats you can reach the rope, anchors and gear without having to spin. Might be ok to have on the 10' model, but I've had em all and find that the 8' is the right combo of weight, transportability, and stability for me. The nice part of the bench is the side storage spots for fly boxes or lunch.

8. Still life pics from the stillwater today...

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Paul,
    Your pram looks terrific and you've got it set up so nice. Beware of the non-slip floor, it's hell on fly line under foot.

IMHO, the fish-on mount looks just fine. Nice featherlights too. I will be trying out a new set of Sawyers soon to compare to my old featherbrand oars.

One thing to consider, a wood handled net ! I just finished a net refurb and it tops the boat off. My next project is to refinish a ribbon maghony gear box to store spools, etc.

Again - very nice pram you've outfitted

10. Thanks Jeff, I tried to use my Cataracts, and it just didn't seem right. I love the Featherlights and will look into a wooden landing net as well. I have a Mahoghany cigar box that I'm going to convert to a Chironomid box for when I fish out of this boat. I love just going in the garage and looking at the boat, and its a joy to row and fish. Love these Smith boats!

11. DrCrush

DrCrush Never2Tired2Fish

Does this pram have a fiberglass coating? Thanks.

12. Nope... thats why its not heavy. Its just Spar Varnish, glossy coated.

13. James W. Haan

James W. Haan Member

Home Page:
    Paul, beautiful boat. I just posted one that I built. I also used Spar varnish. The thing I like about these boats is how easy they handle although mine weights about 70lbs due to the extra wood in the panels.

14. flyphish

flyphish New Member

Paul, I'm currently refinishing a Smith Bros 10' pram. I have been trying to come up with an idea for a seat back that would compliment the boat. I saw the pics of yours on it's maiden voyage and love the seat back design. At my age I need the support for long days on the water. I've tried a swivel seat bracket and seat but it was all wrong, got me up to high for the oar locks and it just was painful to see a plastic seat in that beautiful boat. i was wondering if you could take some close-up pics of your seat back and how it is fastened and post them or PM me. At long last, no pram envy anymore!

15. I had the exact same issues until I was poking around the garage and found a pair of vintage folding chairs that I'd picked up for free at a garage sale about a year ago. They were solid oak frames, with red leather seating and back surfaces. I chopped the legs so that it would accomodate the seat height and screwed them into place. This works beautifully and matches the wood on the boat. If I need more support, I just bring a floatation cushion, but most of the time, I can fish a full day and have the back support, good looks, low profile (can haul it upside down and not interfere with the truck rack), and light weight. I think I have more photos on my blog, which you can check out to see the folding chair. I'll try to upload pics with detail, but I think you'll love the way that its engineered once you see it in photos.