Smoker recommendation?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Thomas Mitchell, Jun 10, 2011.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Reading the up-dates here as I munch on a chunk of 'beer can' cooked whole chicken. Went and bought a 16 oz can of Bud, dumped same and half refilled the can with a strong dark beer ....LORDIE! LORDIE!! LORDIE!!!!!!

Oh, I drank the other half of the bottle. :>)

2. Warthog

Warthog New Member

Okay, I don't get on here as often as I would like and have never posted on this forum before. But I wanted to offer one alternative view for smokers. I purchased a Big Green Egg about 4 years ago and have cooked everything from hotdogs and hamburgers to pizza and steaks. I have also done brisket (16 hrs) and once, 22 lbs of pork butt (20 hours!). It is touted as "the world's greatest smoker". The basic premise is that this is a 9000 year old chinese cooking method using a thick ceramic oven. You basically fill it with lump charcoal, light it, set the air intake at the bottom and top, load your meat and close the lid. If your looking, your not cookin'. There is a forum just like this one called greeneggers.net. You will get the same level of support on smoking that you get from the guys on this forum when it comes to all things fishing! I have heard of guys who have smoked cheese on these, but I have never done it. As for smoking fish, the lowest temp that I was ever able to maintain, was about 200 degrees. Not sure what temp you smoke fish at.

Big Green Eggs can be purchased from most fireplace specialty stores. They just had the NW eggfest last weekend in Kent. If you can wait until next year, you can "pre-order" a large egg. They basically cook on it that day at the eggfest, and you take it home that night at a substantial savings. These things are not cheap. A large (they come small, med., large, extra large) will run you about $1000 once you get all the add ons. You can usually pick one up at the eggfest for about $850 that will include a stand, side tables, and a few other parts.

Happy smokin'

Warthog

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Thumbs up Warthog. Have yet to read a 'thumbs down' review (and I Google the hell out of everything before I comment) of the BGE's. And I mean that truly; only 'down side' is they're about as portable as a dead Packadurm (sp? Elephant) if you want to do a 'cook out,' save for our back yard.

4. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

X2! I have looked at them and have read and been told nothing but positives.