Smoking Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wyofly, May 31, 2013.

1. aaronk

aaronk Member

One pan alder and one pan apple.

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Guess I am diffrent I like maple or fruit woods to smoke pinks. I keep a maple tree around just to smoke and barbacue with.
    What I really would like to try is cannng some this year for a great sandwich spread

3. wlai

wlai Member

You know fly fishermen are classy when not one of them will tell the "eat the plank" joke

4. BRYORS

BRYORS Member

The key ingrediant is to catch, bleed, and ice all within a couple of minutes. I like the Luhr-Jensen recipie of 2/3 apple and 1/3 cherry. It adds a sweetness to the fish that is excellent. It also helps that I keep my apple and cherry prunings for smoking various protiens. I am a woodworker so I have used many different woods and it's fun to experiment.

5. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    I've been throwing some plum chips in with the apple alder mix too with fine results. We'll have to do the Beveridge Place gig again it was fun.

6. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Hey, all you humpy haters, they're fine table fare if caught from the salt. Skip the river run fish and your opinion will change, I promise.

One thing we don't lack here on Whidbey is alder and humpies. I use alder because it's free and works great. If you don't cut your own wood just find someone that does, or buys it, and pilfer a log that looks good and smells like clean, dry wood. Not mossy or moldy. You can use a hatchet if you like big chips. But if you can work with smaller chips a 1" spade bit on the cordless can make shorter work of it.

I smoke in a cardboard box. My box is about ready for replacement. I'm using it for it's last hurrah right now (local market had whole, wild sockeye on sale for $6.99lb!). The box smells so good I'm considering eating it.

7. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Now, that is funny!