So, curious, what's behind your avatar and username?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 1, 2013.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Steve I've been wondering about that Avatar for ages!

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Definetly a top one in my book! .... " Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust"

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'm Mumbles, spend some time around me and you'll get it. Avatar, that is actually what I look like. Both sad but true.

4. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Name? I joined in the middle of some push for everybody to use their names, be a little less anonymous.

5. Gonefission

Gonefission New Member

My avatar is a picture of a fly I created years ago. It is kind of a cross between a Carey Special and a spey... a lot of steelhead has been caught on this pattern. My user name is because I fish at Ringold across from the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.:D

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Name: Several years ago the net pens kept breaking, flooding Rufus woods with huge triploids. After landing about fifty of the brutes one day, a friend made a comment that I was a junkie for those fish.
    Avatar: While staked out on my favorite carp flats( you pick off an occasional largemouth or trout that wanders through too) I noticed several of these strange fish cruising around, milling with the carp. For the rest of the day I committed myself to catching one. Finally got one to eat after hours of putting my fly right on their noses. The fish was as blinding as a brick of gold out of the water, with blood red eyes. I later learned it was a tench, an invasive from the UK. I used it as an avatar because I knew noone would know what it was.

Mike Ediger likes this.
  7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Done not dirt cheap! Wow...10 years ago...felt like 5...gawd I'm getting old fast.

Dirty Deed Porter

Name Dirty Deed Porter
    Description Dirty Dark Robust Malty and Hoppy Porter
    Added by
    Date Submitted Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:00 AM (GMT)
    INGREDIENTS
    • 9.0 lbs. English Pale Malt
    • 2.0 lbs. Munich Malt
    • 12 ozs. Cyrstal 80-90
    • 12 ozs. Chocolate
    • 5 ozs. Black Patent
    • tettnang and cascade hops
    • Wyeast 1028
    PREPARATION
    Mash Grains @ 154 for 70 minutes. Raise to 168 and rest for 5 minutes. Sparge (Mash Out) collect wort

Boil for 90 minutes -- 1.25 ozs. tettnang @ 90, 0.50 ozs. tettnang @ 30, 0.75 ozs. cascade @ 10, 0.75 ozs. cascade @ dry hop (7 days)
    SPECIFICS
    Style Porter
    Recipe Type All Grain
    Batch Size 4.5 gallons
    Original Gravity 1.064
    Final Gravity 1.016
    Boiling Time 90
    Primary Fermentation 7 - Glass
    Secondary Fermentation 7 - Glass
    Other Specifics OG 1.064 FG 1.016 IBU'S 38-42 ABV 6.3%
    COMMENTS
    A definite Northwest flavor on a classic dark old style of ale. The cascades will give a slight rose floral and citrusy note but the malt will dominate the taste buds.The liquid will appear dark but when held to light will have a red tinge when tilted. Looks heavy but falls in the medium category.

The one thing I did that made the beer better was natural carbonation after bottling. I would collect the right amount (formula) of wort and seal it. I would then add the wort back prior to bottling and it would ferment again causing the nautural carbonation. Nailed it every time. Can't remember the proper term for this process, but it beats adding sugar, etc.

flybill and Richard Torres like this.
  8. Porter

Porter Active Member

...And I don't miss those 7 hour brewing nights, all the clean-up, and the smell of spent hops lingering in the kitchen the next day! Do miss enjoying the handcrafted ale.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

My brother Bruce was a home-brewer for years (one year giving me a set of beer glasses etched with the name 'Brewce') He gave it up largely for the same reasons. He made some wonderful beers though, my favorite being his Chocolate Goat Scrotum Porter.

K

Porter likes this.
  10. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

anyone who has fished near me or not understands why I'm appropriating a Warren Zevon song title as my anonymous alter ego.And my avatar is me heroically posing with a very dead barracuda i shot off of Glover's reef in Belize.

11. Craig Pablo

Craig Pablo Active Member

Home Page:
    I used to go by flyfishdude, my username pretty much everywhere else. I went along with the "use your real name" push awhile back.

My avatar is from my favorite movie, "The Big Lebowski"

btw, I've been flyfishdude since before the movie came out :cool:

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

'Chocolate Goat Scrotum Porter'....great name! I went so far to even create my own laser print labels...'Midnite Brewery', because I normally wrapped it up well after midnight.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

My AVATAR is from the interweb sensation "All you base are belong to us " I knew Jeff Roberts who was the DJ that remixed the first track wich originally spread the "All your base" phenom. Originally he got the track of a Japanese video game in which the programmers did not notice the grammer error and soon was publically made fun of.
    The Avatar used to fit in the screen before the site upgrade. It really has become old, and I'd like to change it, but I feel people reconize this avatar as being me so it stays.
    My screen name originates from my nick name tedious. An old girlfriend used to add thumper to the name and call me tedious thumper. A friend of hers used to room with us, so for awhile it was the three of us, those were certainly some good years. I worked as a club promoter and bartender. As a joke the girls used to introduce me like they were showing a car at a car show. When I entered a room they would say... "introducing MR TEDIOUS THUMPER" I know it sounds silly, and of course it is, but I was young then and those were some good memories.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cQnDkgdIn_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

constructeur likes this.
  14. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

My screen name is my real name and the Avatar is a screen shot of the video game Quake.. used to love to play it and it seemed to not fit for a fly fishing forum so i figured that would be perfect.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  15. WolfSpider

WolfSpider Member

I got a tattoo of a Wolf Spider on my neck shortly after getting out of The Marine Corps, so the screen name kind of made sense. Then I got married and screen names now consist of fayeandbryan, bryanandfaye, or some variation of that. The avatar is the only pic I could find with a fish and a spider. Well, the tattoos gone, the cool screen names are disappearing, isn't marriage grand??? Actually it is pretty great, but it sure was fun being single while it lasted!