So how many casts until you touched your frist steelhead???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

A wise man told me steelhead are where you find them. My first landed fish was on the stilly dec.3rd about after three months. It"s the next cast.

2. KEM

KEM Member

Never landing one!

3. generic

generic Active Member

I slopped out. First day ever stealhead fishing, Nov. 4th, 2001 - 3 hrs 45 min caught first steelie. The next week - 4 to hand in one day. The next week after that - 6 to hand. My friends told me to quit because it wasn't going to get better than that. That was a great year to start, one of the biggest runs on record.

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

That is ridiculous! Makes me want to stop just reading it. Sheesh.

Took me about three solid months in winter before my first fish, which happened to be a spawned out summer run in March! Just like hookers and blow - once you start, you never stop.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. urp.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I think Constructeur here on the forum wins this one. Maybe he'll post in this thread eventually and tell his story.

7. Abyl

Abyl Member

Going on 4 months now and not a tug yet....I agree with finding a buddy to help though, and even if you still don't have luck at least you had good company.

8. generic

generic Active Member

Like I said, I slopped out. Three factors: Huge run that year, no pressure (til people started opening their PIE HOLE!), and years of fishing for big browns off of the "feel" of the take. Yes, I was bouncing articulated leaches on the bottom - no bobber though. I prefer to swing, but this river doesn't have a lot of places to do so.

9. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I never really push it so there's no way to estimate even. I have rarely even spent a whole day after steelhead. When I spend time with an experienced fisherman he just catches more fish and I still have none. I'm 72 now and still trying once in a while so I may catch one yet. I did catch a chinook once. And those chum were crazy catching a bunch everytime, when I did get out. So I guess figure about 50 years worth of something and not counting. I don't care!!! I do feel sorrry for those who have been skunked over and over and they worry about it. I don't even think that I've touched any one elses. Happy fishin!!

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I can remember it because it is the only one on a fly for me so far. Many on gear before that. I know the exact rock I was standing on, the fly, the person who tied the fly and the guy I fished with in that general area the day before. He actually shortened his time on the water that day because of my schedule, we got skunked and late that night I got told by the misses to be out of the house so the girls could work on a surprise for me. I went back, solo, and bonked a little hatchery hen...sorry Rob! If I had it to do all over again I still would not have called you that late at night, and you'd still call me a bastard. And I was just getting started. I was really just stripping out line and making short casts to get more running line in hand when she came knocking. She got a dose of stone shampoo probably 45 minutes or less from the time I parked the truck. I could not have made more than four to six short casts before my good fortune and I called it a day. Drove 2 hours there, barely got wet and drove two hours home with dinner!

11. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

I was on the Russian River in California and didn't have a clue. Bait guys were sitting on the rocks across stream, so I knew fish were stacked in the run. I made about a dozen casts before this old guy fishing above me said "reel in." He nipped off the huge fly I had on and tied on a small bland, brown hackled fly. He explained a few things about cast and mend. Three casts later, I was into the wildest fight I've ever had on a river. I beached, what we estimated to be, between 15-17 lb fish. I released it, while listening to boos and obscenities from the bait guys across stream. The old man patted me on the back and said "Good job! And now you might as well retire from steelheadin, because you will never see another fish like that in this river for the rest of your life. Probably in most rivers. It's all downhill from here on." So far he's been right. That was almost 30 years ago. That'll give you the steelhead shake!!
    So the answer, about 15 casts.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Don't know. Caught first steelhead in the Rogue about 50 years ago. That one was likely on spinning gear. We used to fish both fly and spin and I can't remember if I caught a steelhead on a fly back then. Most likely did. I quit sport fishing for many years and when I got back into fly fishing some 20 years ago I would say it took a month or so before hooking into first steelhead.

How many casts have you made since your last hook up?

13. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

well... no steel for me since August, but I have hooked something be it bull trout, cutties, or salmon every trip out

14. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Many on gear back trolling the cowlitz when I was younger. once I started fly fishing it was prlly about 6 trips or so before I put one to hand.

15. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I think 5 trips.