So how many casts until you touched your frist steelhead???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I feel like Bob Jones on this subject. Who cares. It took me about three years to get a Brown trout worth bragging about. What a beautiful colored fish. It puts the Steelhead to shame in it's colors and it's fight is just as much fun.

I Washington state you guys only fish for Steelhead, here I have several different trout species to fish for and all of them are fun.

2. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

1st cast. Seriously! I started my quest by reading a book about steelhead fly fishing. When I was finished, I went online and visited Washington Fly Fishing. It wasn’t long before I discovered a recent report which included the name of the river, the name of hole that the person caught the steelhead in along with a picture of the hole, and a description of the fly and line set up that was used. Armed with all of this information, I drove to the spot and waded out in the water at the head of the run. My first cast landed in the seam just below the head. My swing was just about to the hang down when bam, fish on!

Actually, I don’t know how many casts I made before I caught my first steelhead on a fly. What I can say is that it took me approximately 8 months. I am sure that the water in that particular run had been fished by gear fishermen for most of the day. However, I decided to give it a go. I was just above the tail out of this particular run and my fly coming to the end of its swing when the fish hit with a full on head and shoulders take. It was kind of like being awaken from a dream, and there were no doubts about what I had on the end of my line. The fish was an estimated 5lb. - 6lb. chrome bright wild summer run steelhead. That was one of the best fly fishing experiences that I have ever had!

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

So, when you lived here in Washington State all you fished for was steelhead?

4. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Old man clearly knows we have brag worthy browns.

5. discoscud

discoscud Stripping burns welcome!

I think it was about 8 casts.. Fishing with Gordy U on the good ol' Nooche for the summer runs! Took me another 6 years to hook up again. It's still a fish I love to hate!!!

6. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

On my first cast. Actually, it wasn't really a cast. It was in the 1970's on my dad's friend's boat on Lake Michigan off the south side of Chicago. The "cast" amounted to hooking up my fiberglass spinning rod to a downrigger and trolling around. I caught a few small steelhead that day and a few in ensuing years in the lake and on various Michigan rivers.

Anyway, that's not at all what you were after, so I'll add that after moving here in 1999 it probably took me probably half a dozen days on the Sky and Stilly before I landed two natives in one day near Monroe. Soon after that I decided to leave steelhead alone for the mostpart.

7. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Don't know how many casts. Let's see, I'm 56 and I've been fly fishing for steelies for about 5 years now and have yet to hook up with one unless you can count a finclipped 12" rainbow on the Bogey last year. Like I ssaid last year, "this winter for sure...".

8. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

My first trip out, 2nd day on the river, I caught 6. We'd studied up and gotten the right flies, line etc. It was stupidly good out there and I was hooked; similar to the quote someone said above, I had about 10 different people tell me that it will never happen to me again. Still have had great success, but never hooked one on the swing yet only under my bobbicator. Swing is top of my To-Do.

9. hjbigrapids

hjbigrapids New Member

Big Rapids, MI, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle
    Never had a "frist" steelhead. Is that a different race????

How many casts til my 1st 23.5 pound male??? In that run about half a dozen.

Again it is all relative. When I was overseas in the late 60's I did not keep count of the days, as I either made it or I didn't. I was asked by my CO how many days I had left and I told him "it was all relative". Some guys/gals are a quick study and they put it all together in a hurry. Some others do it their way, sort of "Barta" style.

Learning to sense the different takes was a lot of the curve. A lot of fishermen never realize they had a fish take their fly, hold on to it and then let it go. I have had people sit there and watch their rod shake and never do anything. Then they ask me, "was that a fish?".

Don't worry about how many casts or years, it will all come together........

10. bconrad

bconrad Active Member

Hey just curious, when you feel that fish pick up the fly, do you slam the door or just sit there and wait for him to turn on it?

11. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Proly two years and still no fish.... Of course I make it out maybe only half a dozen times a year...

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

First time out. I was in my early teens on the hood with a great steelheader. I caught 6 steelhead under an indicator with a calberro egg. I remember feeling real good about myself and commenting on what the big fuss was all about steelhead being difficult to catch. Ignorance was bliss.

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Me too. I've caught a few and agree that they're amazing. But I went and got addicted to the challenge of big browns,and have yet to return to steelhead or the crowds they bring. Crowds being relative of course. And like OMJ it took me almost four years to catch one worth bragging about. iagree

14. hjbigrapids

hjbigrapids New Member

Big Rapids, MI, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle
    Depends upon the take. There are times when they jerk the rod out of your hand, there are times when they float with the fly and you feel something goofy. Then there are the ones that kind of mouth it and swim with it and you just wonder what the heck is going on.

There has been a lot of discussion about dropping loops, swinging to the side and down river, and waiting for the turn. My history with big fish is that they will sit there and shake their head. So the down stream sweep and low to the water is the way to go.

It is all a learning curve. Not all the MASTERS catch them in the mouth every time. I have seen a bunch of pictures where the hook is outside of the mouth. That is called "lining or sometimes snagging". There are so many variables in Steelhead fly fishing that one encounters new things all the time.

After more years than I want to admit to, I can honestly say " I do not understand it all". It is a constant learning thing. That is why fly fishing for steelhead is so unique........

15. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

hjbigrapids: another style of take that I get from big bows around here is they come up beside it and slap it hard with their tail to stun it. Then they turn around and watch. If it behaves accordingly, they grab it. Keep in mind this is a lake, river fish may not have the luxury of this kind of ambush behavior. My hook up ratio went way up when I discoverd this. Unless on dries, probably 60% of my hookups now are on the second strike,now that I don't overreact to the "stunner".