Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

So long suckers! I'm rich!!!!

NFR 
3K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
Just got this in my email! Later losers!

NOTIFICATION OF BEQUEST

My name is Mr. Gordon Forster. I am the Personal Assistant to the great Atlanta Physician and Philanthropists Mr.George Brumley. On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the Estate of the beneficiaries of his estate. He left the sum of Five Million One Hundred Thousand Dollars(USD$5,100.000.00) to you. This may sound strange and unbelievable to you,but it is real and true.

Late Mr.G. Brumley and all his family were among the victims that died in a charter plane crash. I wish to notify you that late George Brumley made you a beneficiary. The flight crashed into the snow-capped,16,355-foot Lenana Peak on Mount Kenya destroying the entire plane and killing passengers on board. Late George Brumley died on the month of July 2012 at the age of 68. You can see details of his death in the CNN link below:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/ africa/07/20/kenya.crash/ index.html

He was a widely traveled man and devoted most of his time and wealth to charity and humanitarian work. His great philanthropist works is well known and recorded all over the world. He must have been in contact with you in the past or you were nominated to him in his vision to expand the Charity works. Simply put, he was a very dedicated Sufis and Christian who loved to give out. His great philanthropy earned him numerous awards during his life time. In dedicating this funds to you and other beneficiaries, he instructed that you are to use part of the funds to promote his legacy through activities that aims to help the old, poor, needy and disabled in the society. Late Brumleys' legacy is the love of charity.
Please If I reach you as I am hopeful, endeavor to get back to me as soon as possible so we can start processing the release of the funds to you. You are to reply me immediately providing the following information:
1.Your Full names.
2.Valid Contact address.
3.Contact Telephone and fax numbers.

Yours In Service,
Mr. Gordon Forster.(ESQ).
14 York Road,Ilford Essex,
IG1 3AD London, England.

See less See more
G
#4 ·
OMG!

I've been getting those types of emails and my friends convinced me they were BS.

I'm going to have to dig through my SPAM folder and reply with my checking account information and my PIN numbers.

Gosh, I hope I'm not too late.

Aside: What Dream-Whip-For-Brains falls for this crap?

G
#7 ·
I actually got this phone call:

Me: Hello.
Caller: (In heavy Techsupportistan accent) My name is Tim McEvoy. I work for IRS (pronounced like "iris") and I call to you about your unpaid property taxes.
Me: Look, Mahendra, I don't owe any property taxes. (I didn't want to tell the idiot that the IRS doesn't collect property taxes)
Caller: Yes, indeed sir, you do and you must send the balance or you will go to the jail.
Me: Mahendra, I work for the International Fraud Division of the FBIdle. (I had no reason to believe this guy would claim I impersonated an FBI agent, so I made up a name) Right now I've got a trace on your phone and your local police are on their way to your building. They are heavily armed.
Caller: Click.

#11 ·
The most interesting part of the letter is the fact that they don't know your name !!!

How the hell could the guy leave you a ton-o-money when he didn't even know your name?

The sad thing is these scam emails must work because criminals keep sending them out.

There's a sucker born every minute.

#15 ·
Well I just got notification from Publishers Clearing House that my lucky numbers were registered with them, which qualified me as the probable winner of $5,000.00 a month for life! All I need to do is reply and soon not only myself but any one I choose, will get said amount, after I die, for life too!
So goodbye losers, see all you other lucky bastards in AK!
That is once I get all the new ad flyers and catalogs, that started showing up, out of my mail box:mad:

LB

#17 ·
For some reason I am reminded of this:

Also, years ago, a guy actually had one of those Nigerians flying all over Africa to meet him. Of course he email and call the guy at his hotel and arrange a meeting somewhere else because his flight was canceled etc. etc. It went on for quite awhile and the guy posted up the emails between himself and the conman as he told the story.

#19 ·
There was a woman in a cycling forum about a decade ago when the Nigerian fortune pranks were coming in folks email almost daily. She worked in the tech business and played around with a pair of these guys. They asked for information, so she gave them just enough to whet their appetite and think they hooked her. She got their location as being in London, so she told them she had to travel there soon on business. Then she found a place across the street from a hotel that had street cameras. She emailed them telling them when she would be there, where they could meet her - by the street cameras - and had them doing all kinds of antics while she claimed to be in a business meeting at the hotel, but was actually monitoring them from her office in Chicago via the London street cameras. Boy were they pissed when she finally played her punch line, and it was all visible via the street camera feed. And they coulda' been Nigerians. They were a couple of black guys all dressed up in their bankers suits, ready to meet with her.

#20 ·
These are very lucrative scams.
Usually its the older folks that fall for the scam.
1. U get 500,000 if you send me $2500 to process the claim.
2. I am a close friend of your grandkid that is now in jail and we need bail money $1000-2000.
Sadly it happens way too often. Western Union or Money Gram are their electronic weapons of choice.
Once its sent. ..... its gone baby gone.

#21 ·
These are very lucrative scams.
Usually its the older folks that fall for the scam.
1. U get 500,000 if you send me $2500 to process the claim.
2. I am a close friend of your grandkid that is now in jail and we need bail money $1000-2000.
Sadly it happens way too often. Western Union or Money Gram are their electronic weapons of choice.
Once its sent. ..... its gone baby gone.
I had the "grandpa" phone call earlier today..... problems in Vegas. After asking the kid when he was going to ask me to send money he hung up. Near as I can tell he grabbed the info off of "the kids" facebook page.

#25 ·
It's really nothing to laugh about. These asshats scam millions from naive elders every year. I have a family member, 94 years old, who fell for one and sent three $500 gift cards. Since then, the mail box has been full and the telephone rings all the time with scams; even after we convinced said relative to change phone numbers. There are offers for new Mercedes' and trips and stuff like that and life is a struggle because of the hope and trust elders have in the belief someone is going to make them rich. We have to monitor it everyday.:(

#27 ·
Charity begins at home! Specifically new 6,000 square foot one on a small Sitka AK island!!!!
Not that I've spent any time fantasizng about such things (or that I have reason to). BUT, if my "S.S. Brumley" ever did come, I'm thinking more along the lines of a 2,000 square foot cabin near Sitka and a 4,000 square foot villa in the Carribbean. Wait, scratch that... the wife unit would make me keep a place at home to be close to family (stupid dumb family). Hmm, a 2000 sq foot waterfront home on the local crick would work for that. Guess I'd have to settle for 2000 sqft for AK and a smaller villa. Dang.

Love the stories about messing with the con men. The street cam video of the Nigerian "bankers" would be hilarious.

#30 ·
The people I feel sorry for are the poor schmucks who actually have to track down distant relatives of people who die without leaving a will. It's got to be nearly impossible for them to do their jobs now, because everyone thinks it's a scam!

It happened to me. I thought it was a scam. I inherited ....... A couple of hundred bucks :)

#32 ·
I don't believe anything that comes through the mail. I never read my Email because everybody I know talks to me through here. I haven't opened any email in over 5 years. If It is from somebody I don't know it goes into the spam folder. Lots of junk in email. I have a cell phone and I never get any calls. I live almost like a hermit, and I like it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.