So this swinging thing.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Irafly, Jan 19, 2014.

1. JS

JS Active Member

Apologies. Poor assumption on my part. Been sitting in the house too long. That being said, wow, people are thin skinned on here these days.

David Dalan likes this.
  2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Like I said, happens every winter :D

3. NateTreat

NateTreat Banned or Parked

Here it goes again.

4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

My skin is thick, that's why I know I'm still awesome, but an apology on the internet only leads to breaking it, I'd like to keep it around for awhile, so take it back, take it back, please take it back!

5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

As a bad kid was once quoted, "Dear Santa, define "Good"" What is "It" in your opinion Nate. I never did use a bead or a glow bug or a yarnie afterall.

6. PT

PT Physhicist

I think you're giving yourself too much credit by considering what you did as "swinging." Still trying to get into the cool crowd, huh Ira? ;)

7. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I was cool, only when I trippled in 800' of water PT.

PT likes this.
  8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I think Ira is just bored, and chummed the waters for an indicator vs. swing debate. Stimulating conversation with adults can be a luxury, sometimes. Someone just throw up a link to mumbles cartoon so we can all have a chuckle( I would, but couldn't find it and gave up). Dirty ass nymphers!

David Dalan, Irafly and Jason Rolfe like this.
  9. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

If haters gotta hate, them I'm hatin' on ya Ira. When I go fishing, I am armed with hundreds of dollars worth of rods, reels, lines, tips and a million flies. I have not landed a steelhead since October, though I have watched my buddies land them, and I have had multiple bumps, hits, takes, runs, etc. I went out yesterday and proceeded to clean the Columbia of tumbleweeds. Never fish after a wind storm in eastern Washington I guess. And not only do you outfish me, but you do it with a streamer from a swap I was in, and my streamer was actually a steelhead fly, and you don't pick mine.

Oh well, good on you, wish I could do the same here. I agree with the indicator hit thing, I am amazed at how many of my friends can't stand chiro fishing (staring at a damn bobber!) but then proceed to want to stare at their dry fly all the time. Seems the same to me.

I do nymph fish for steelhead, I just don't enjoy it as much as swinging, the nymphing is a lot more work in my mind. I catch fewer fish than my friends, but usually I'm OK with that. However, there are many runs that are better nymphed than swung, and I will get my game on then.

Wayne

Irafly likes this.
  10. PT

PT Physhicist

I don't think it has anything to do with what you're staring at. It's about the flycast. Most people just don't enjoy playing chuck and duck. It's not as enjoyable as simply a flyline and fly.

Not trying to hi-jack as I don't give a rats azz what others do. Nice fish Ira.

11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

no one cares it's just not the same accomplishment as a fresh winter from a swollen river on a fly fished in such a way as to force the fish to chase it down. Heck drift fishing with bait takes more skill... Which my wife did yesterday to great affect, nice 12 lb wild hen chrome bright, hooked lightly in the corner of the jaw for an easy release.. no picture needed...

Irafly likes this.
  12. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

This is why I, and likely more than a few others, don't post fishing reports here. The last thing I need is some internet ass clown telling me why my day wasn't as great as I thought it was.

13. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Don't understand why you guys enjoy watching an indicator when you'er standing in the water (or sitting in a boat), the bobber is not all that interesting to watch all day long. You can use one and watch for twitches or sinking...but when a steelhead takes a swung fly there are no questions about what just happened. Feeling a good hard take is very interesting...

sopflyfisher and Jason Rolfe like this.
  14. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I feel like if you tried it, you would like catching steelhead on swung wakers. Still the "visual" part like the bobber going under except its on top...and way cooler.

I don't begrudge people for getting dirty and fishing the bobber. I did it for a while and I just didn't like it. Since I went swing only I like steelhead fishing alot more. Nothing that happens under a bobber can compare to the swung fly. All about finding the player.

Irafly likes this.
  15. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

It's always the same people who try take the reports down a notch because of the preferred method of the OP. Sadly, all too predictable.

Ira, great report, sounds like you had a fine day on the water.

Today, I'm going fishing. I'm going to be using flies only the color of the Denver Broncos while both nymphing and swinging. Hope that doesn't uh, ruffle too many feathers. Back to your regularly scheduled programming of pointing out how your a better person based solely on the fact that you swing flies...

FinLuver and Irafly like this.