sore shoulders and spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

CLASSIC BRI !!!!

Thanks Salmo G, good advice, like most( Other than the self proclaimed Professional from the panhandle)
    I have work to do on casting! I did tighten up my stroke a bit the last few days alla Henrich Mortensen, and man the makes a huge diff-

Thanks Garth, Iv'e heard of that book, will check it out-

Gotcha Spaz, makes sense- My Chiropracter said the same thing....

Pan, Pan , PANNNNN.... Where do I start wit you lil buddy???:rofl:
    I told you we should fish this season, but you were too busy catching all the fish, to take the time to help out a newby this year. You need to consider giving something back to a less fortunate learning angler like ME !!! Common man, I need your help! You catch them, I'll measure and take the pics, what a team we could be !!!:rofl::rofl:

2. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

First of all get a tune up from a casting instructor. Second of all you paid good money for the rod, LET IT CAST THE LINE!!!!,

3. sashjo

sashjo Member

Never had a sore shoulder from casting any rod. Yes, carpal tunnel for a day or two. Yes, lateral epicondylitis, but not since I stopped using a SH rod for steelhead.

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    C'mon, Salmo- man up! With one-arm push-ups, use just your index finger and thumb.
    Similarly with one-arm chin-ups, wrap only your index finger over the bar.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Itchy,

Why would I do that? At my age, I've got nothing to prove and no one I want to impress. It does raise the question, however, why use a rod at all? I tried the hand casting thing back in the 70s when shown by Doug Swisher. I concluded it was less fun and would deny me the pleasure of collecting a closet full of fly rods.

Sg

6. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Just man up, drink some scotch (or whatever is your drink of choice), take painkillers and go fish! Better living through chemistry!

Okay, seriously, take some casting instruction... you probably shouldn't be working as hard. Unless you're casting a 15' rod with a long belly and beating yourself up like I do every once in a while!

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I did give more than passing thought to this thread, and something else occurred to me yesterday that makes all the difference in the world...

Balanced Tackle.
    The better you get at casting, the faster you can tell if an outfit is optimized. You can get real tired real fast, even casting with good technique, with an underweight longbelly, a scandi head that's too long, etc. because of the unnnatural little compensatory movements that it takes to get a decent cast out. Good casters can do this for awhile, but nobody's a superman.

This is why there's a big box of lines in my mancave, and why I have particular reels I'll use with particular rods. I'm always fiddling about trying to improve the rod/line match, and the Spaz/outfit/conditions match.
    It all adds up to nicer days on the river.

8. Leroy Laviolet

Well, now that we morphed from What exercises to why , here's a pearl or two that helped me recently-
    Though Iv'e yet to be to the "Panhandle's school of professional speeey casting, by an internet superstar" class... I here first weeks tuition is turning in a lufkin to him that starts at 12" ....:rofl::rofl::rofl: BTW, I told you great fish man, wish I had one like that, someday...:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    I'm a decent/average caster . I have solved some issues lately, By going with some Mortensons suggestions. For me, keeping the elbow tight to my side really is the key. This causes me to swivel my hips and create the energy from my trunk . Also, not sure why, but I notice it in my bicept, not in my shoulder or elbow. This is a good thing, and Bicepts are much tougher than the other two. I was shocked at to how much power is generated by making this small adjustment, Distance was still good- Makes basic sense to me , leverage is created buy keeping in close, not extended out away from the base.
    Good discussion....

9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Tried these last night. The straight arm raises were OK, but can't figure out how to do the shoulder rotations without spilling beer. Guess I just need more practice.

10. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Tight Like A Tiger!! Keep it Tight!

11. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Leroy, I should be over there this week. I'll even bring my magic measuring tape. Adds, roughly, an inch to every inch. I like the metric system too, so I made a tape that combines the best of both continents.

12. Leroy Laviolet

I like the way ya think Pan! :thumb:
    Idn't it gett'n a bit late to maraud them poor old inland fish??:rofl:

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

No, not until December 21st.

14. Leroy Laviolet

Shweet, we got more time ! I'm not gonna tell you when I'm fishing in Febuary, juss gonna keep it in my closet !:rofl:
    You headed oversees for a few months on the 21st of dec er what??

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

No that's just my arbitrary deadline for when the fish are no longer suitable for fishing. :ray1: