sound fishing for coho

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dominic7471, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

That's the way it is sometimes at Lincoln Park, and that's the way it is sometimes fishing with a popper. :)

The fish move around a lot; sometimes they're at a particular beach, sometimes not.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Salmon Fisher,
    You went 0 for 3, yet you said in your previous post "the fish never seem to be where I go" ;) . Did I miss something ??????
    Brian

3. dominic7471

dominic7471 Member

i agree with the dude above.... poppers suck for coho... use a clouser or shock and awe man!!!

4. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Actually, use a streamer and fish with and behind someone else who is using a popper. The popper is great at finding fish and exciting fish, but the streamer is much more effective at hooking fish.

The reason for using the popper is not necessarily a 'quantity' choice, but typically a 'quality' choice. It isn't too dissimilar to choosing between dry flies or wet/nymphs when trout fishing. Most folks like the visual for seeing their dry fly eaten, but subsurface fishing is typically more productive. Same with poppers. It's all about the 'eat' of the fish. I can't remember the quote, but Leland rattles off something like he'd rather catch 1 fish on the popper to 20 fish on a streamer. He likes the visceral part of the action, take, and strikes with the popper.

Maybe try streamers for a while, then once you acquire some fishing catches and experience, toss in the popper.

5. dominic7471

dominic7471 Member

to restate my claim, i said they suck for coho, doesnt mean coho won't hit it... i just like using streamers for them, poppers more for cutthroat.

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Suck? Geez, that's a little extreme isn't it?

Leland.

7. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

Let me defend myself (not another arguement!) for the use of poppers.

1. I didn't see one fish jump, so I didn't know if there were fish around.

2. It drives me absolutely nuts to fish blindly and not even know if fish are around.

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

That's precisely why I fish poppers. If I approach a beach I know, suspect, or think fish are present, my popper will bring them up – 100% of the time. If nothing rises, I move on, 'cause the fish have also moved on.

Leland.

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

10. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Don't get me wrong, I think poppers are great... but I'd rather hook a few fish on a floating line and weighted fly than one on a popper. Fishing from a boat you can still see the strike pretty often anyway. I guess its all about your mix of quality v. quantity. Maybe I am just a bit more skewed towards catching more fish. I've only fished poppers a few times though, so I'm sure Leland's average is higher than mine.

In support of fish crazy aerial strikes though, this fall I had a cutthroat take my fly just as I was picking it up off the water at the end of my retreive. The fly was probably 3 or 4 inches off the water and he still got it. Pretty cool to watch!

11. salt dog

salt dog card shark

iagree

12. livetofish

livetofish Fish to Live

100%?? Geez, that's a little extreme isn't it?:rofl:

I have definitely hit fish (both coho and cutts) subsurface after getting nary a boil on a popper. Of course, I fish subsurface waaaay more than on top, so I'm sure I don't have the popper technique perfected... but still... no such thing as 100% IMHO

13. Elkman

Elkman Ryan

I had an old secret popper that my dad made back in the boyscouts. I used for like 2 years, and then it finally gave up the ghost!!! I caught soooooo many cutties with that fly!!! I had a fairly large searun break the shank in half!! Boy I miss that fly.

later
    Ryan

14. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

you guys ever heard of the miyawaki popper???

not you miyawaki, i know you have.

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...