South dakota pheasant hunt

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Bob Rankin, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I did it on the cheap for A thousand bucks. It can be done.

2. fixj

fixj Member

my great/great grandfather bought several hundred acres near Miller SD from the Federal Government in the
    1800's.. my Dad sold it before he passed away, my family leased out that land forover 100 yrs....wish we
    still owned it...
    the only problem with "limiting out" in SD at 9am is there isn't much to do until tomorrow.

3. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

When I've hunted SD, you can't start hunting for pheasants until 12 noon (11 am in the western part of the state.) So we hunted sharpies in the morning and if we limited with daylight left (I don't like drives so we hunted with dogs and just shot birds over point so it took longer for our limit) we would go to a prairie dog town and shoot those guys! Rick

4. ndmslm

ndmslm Member

I also hunt in miller (the friend I have there probely knew your grandpa) also the first 2 weeks is hunt after 12 then goes to 10am.. I think that is to keep people in the bars longer. If you ever get a chance to go to sd do so no better place to hunt pheasant.

5. fixj

fixj Member

I am hoping to do just that next fall. In fact will take along the 1931 Winchester model 12 16 gauge that my great grandfather , grandfather and father all hunted with around Mitchell and Parkston SD before WWII.

6. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Active Member

rankin76: Thanks for the report.

Btw, did you rent a place from a local, stay in an RV, or in a local motel?

I hunt in south-eastern WA every year with my Lewellin Setter. I am planning on heading to Montana and maybe even North or South Dakota for a pheasant hunting trip (with some Montana fishing time included as well) next year.