South End Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. flyfisherman_sean

flyfisherman_sean Fly fishing enthusiast.

Fished MA13 from 1130-230 with a fiberglass 4wt and a commando head. Had no problem skagit casting with my back against the trees into the wind. Those lines cut wind like butter. fishing was slow, and inconsistent. The bite was on then off in a matter of a few minutes., but it didn't suck. All in all I hooked 6 rezzie coho with a couple to hand all on a topwater shrimp pattern. There were some decent sized ones jumping around as well.

Attached Files:

2. gjq

gjq Member

I like the topwater shrimp-gurgler pattern. .........Gartside patterns are used in so many variants by many people from soft hackle streamers to gurglers.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Headed south again this morning. A balmy 21 when I hit the beach.
    The 14'+ high had the water up near the lawns.
    Fishing was good for the first couple hours with 10 fish or so to hand.
    Biggest was a nice golden buck around 18". No pics, to cold so I guess it didn't happen. ;)
    With the sun and ultra clear water due to lack of rain, it was fun watching the fish whack the fly 30-40' out.
    I've noticed a pattern recently about this beach over the past few trips. The first couple hours are good, then things just go dead. This is regardless of whether it is a incoming or outgoing tide. Repeat performance today. Just went totally dead.

The Coastal Quickshooter wasn't really happy with the cold weather starting out. A buddy came down to see me and helped give it a good stretch. After that it fished much better.

Didn't see anyone out at the usual spots today.
    SF

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  4. flyfisherman_sean

It was a cold one on the water yesterday morning, even with the late start. Fished the outgoing in ma 13 and had some solid action for the few hours I was out there freezing. All fish caught were resident coho on this shrimp pattern.

Attached Files:

5. Kfish

Kfish Active Member

Nice shrimp! Does it ride right side up in the water?

6. flyfisherman_sean

Thanks, it rides the way it's pictured, with the hook side up.

7. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Fished Saturday morning as well. Cold, water was steaming. Brought 5 fish in, lost about that many as well. Nicest around 16'', rest average sized. One had most of its tail bitten off, must have had a run in with an otter or seal. The tail injury didn't keep it from fighting well. Started the day off with small sculpin and glow baitfish flies. Switched over to an amphipod pattern, size #14 I think. Largest fish of the day took the small fly.

Kfish, Matthäus, fishues and 5 others like this.
  8. Stonefish

Decided to sleep in and let things warm up before heading south this morning.
    Saw a few other folks out today as I drove by the usual spots.
    32 when I hit the beach and 37 when I quit. Nice day with no real wind and the sun broke out a few time. Nitriles and fingerless fleece gloves kept the digits dry and relatively warm.
    Fished the last 2.5 hours of the incoming and the first two of the outgoing.
    Good action throughout the time I fished with a dozen or so fish to hand. Used a UV chartreuse and pink sandlance all day.
    I had a number for rising fish today especially after the change, so plenty of targets to cover. Nothing huge today but still a fun day.
    Took a few pictures with my new Olympus TG-4.

Just a quick update on the Coastal Quickshooter. I noticed today that mine has started to develop cracks in the running line. I had high hopes this line would provide better durability then I experienced with the OBS.
    I've got probably 35 days or so on it since I got it. Kind of a bummer that Rio can't figure out how to produce a full intermediate line for saltwater use that last longer then four months before cracking.

Merry Christmas and hopes for better saltwater fishing opportunities in 2017.
    SF

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  9. Kfish

Kfish Active Member

Nice fish! Merry Christmas Brian!

10. The Quan

The Quan member

Yeah the lines just keep cracking. I gave up on rio and expensive lines. I'm actually going to cheaper lines, beat the shit out of em' and then throw them out !!!

triploidjunkie likes this.
  11. flyfisherman_sean

I just got the quickshooter for my five weight. I'll keep an eye out for the durability, and report. those are some nice cutthroat.

12. High Flyin

High Flyin Active Member

Santa also brought me the quickshooter line for my 6wt. I have two Rio int lines that I am sending back to show Rio the lack of durability. Around where I fish it has slowed and but still some fish but nothing notable size wise.
    One thing that has been cool lately, is that I've been putting my boat in around GH and when I'm alone, I've offered to take some people who are beach fishing, out in the boat to cover more water. We will then go to a couple general areas that people are unable to access while fishing from the beach. So far, two of the guys were super cool and one guy was a dick that returned to the beach a bit early. It's fun fishing with new people that are starting out and learning the ropes.

Augy, Eyejuggler, Gabriel Mas and 8 others like this.
  13. rotato

rotato Active Member

That's a nice thing to do high flyin
    Cheers to you

High Flyin likes this.
  14. High Flyin

High Flyin Active Member

Went out this morning for a few hours and had a great day. I probably covered 4-5 mile sin the boat just looking for fishing looking spots, giving a couple casts if nothing was going on I'd move. Water temp was a brisk 49 degrees. Some of the most consistent action that I've have in the last few months. Again, nothing huge biggest 16-17" but still plenty of fish to keep me active. No fish would take surface flies. I was surprised to get a couple spawners already. The top fish is spent and the bottom fish is just a football that was caught right next to a creek mouth. I'll be out again tomorrow before the cold kicks in.
    upload_2016-12-30_14-7-45.png
    upload_2016-12-30_14-8-59.png

Bajema and Kfish like this.
  15. Stonefish

Nice work Chris.
    That is a lot more fun then sitting at home getting your ass kicked by a wicked cold.
    Thanks for the report.
    SF

High Flyin likes this.