South End Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RedFive

RedFive Active Member

Home Page:
    Oh yeah, they are great. I've been "reactivating" my mothballed single handers because of them.

I hear you about the snow flurries. Enjoyed a few over the past couple of weeks, too. For whatever reason, they coincided with a peak in the bite.

2. AdrianM

AdrianM I'm new here

Also, I wasn't looking for specific beaches by any means. I more meant, what is defined as North Sound (points north of Seattle?) etc...

3. RedFive

RedFive Active Member

Home Page:
    Aren't Finance folks all about specifics? My Finance people always are. :) OTOH, looks like you were also a weatherman. Then again, the meteorologists and weatherman where I work are pretty spot on, so...

Defining the Middle Sound is subjective. Without going into detail, to me it's Area 10 and the southern half of Area 9. Some people may classify all of 9 as the North, though. Furthermore, if we're defining "Middle Sound" as a section of the greater Puget Sound area, then you could also lump in the upper half of Area 12, though most people would probably classify that as just Hood Canal.

Stonefish and AdrianM like this.
  4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

As RedFive said, you'll get lots of opinions on what defines the middle sound.
    To me, anything north of the southern MA 9 and 8-2 boundries is northern Puget Sound. MA 10 & 11 are the middle sound and MA 13 the south sound.
    I'm one of those just Hood Canal guys, but it does fish differently in my opinion depending if you are on the north or south end.
    I hope this doesn't add to the confusion. ;)
    SF

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. AdrianM

AdrianM I'm new here

I would tend trust your definition since you are heavily in the salt. :)

Makes sense and would align with my definition of North/South/Middle/Whatever. Thanks!

6. rotato

rotato Active Member

IMG_2606.JPG Had to endure some lumpy water to get River pig's and my first double of the year
    Tough searun fishing though
    Cheers

7. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I have a late work call in the morning so I intended on heisting a beach near post in the morning. Out going tide. Anyone fish near JBLM? No hot spots just asking if you do.. I will be wading no boat..

Should be able to get about an hour and a half of fishing in before work

AdrianM likes this.
  8. High Flyin

High Flyin Active Member

Cold today. Damn cold. The incoming was good at first then is slowed to no fish at all. Fished 7 beaches from the boat and got fish at 3. Nothing amazing but a couple around 16". Calm water and sunshine. The IPA tasted great after fishing all day.

Steve Kokita and Stonefish like this.
  9. wanative

wanative Active Member

What is area 7 and 8 part of ? Salish Sea I guess. Some up here call it North Puget sound.
    Doesn't really matter I guess.
    How about No Searun cutthroat Sound lol.

Bajema likes this.
  10. james.jimenez

IMG_2575.JPG Today I was only able trick one fish into taking my fly.

11. High Flyin

High Flyin Active Member

Went out again this morning area 11. It was 27 degrees when I put in. My buddy had to work last minute so met a good guy a the beach, offered him a seat and he joined me. Nice guy, I always enjoy fishing with new people.
    We covered a lot of ground in the boat and it was slow overall. Ended up landing 6-8 SRC. Nothing amazing so no pics. One was 14-15" but that was the highlights. We fished from 830-1230 and the tide was a nice outgoing the whole time. I'm still trying to figure out a couple beaches that I keep on giving attention to. Somedays there are numerous fish, the next day very slow. Today was the first time in over 20 trips that we didn't get a bump at one certain spot.
    It is still a great time to get out, especially, looking at this weeks forecast. I'm going again either tomorrow or Monday.

12. james.jimenez

YOU ROCK!!!

I'm gonna have to stand on a beach with my thumb out from now on!!!

High Flyin likes this.
  13. james.jimenez

Would any of you use a pontoon in the South Sound? If so where would you put in? I don't want to get flushed into some crazy open water!! LOL

14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Not just saltwater lines. It seems thats about all the use you can get out of Rio lines before they crack all to hell. Less if you use them below freezing temps. I've switched back to Airflow. See if that cures the longevity problem.

Stonefish likes this.
  15. c-dawg

c-dawg Member

Sure you can use a pontoon. The same rule applies as with any boat: pick your weather. Don't go out there if the weather's gonna be shitty.

As far as putting in, if you're on JBLM, go to Solo Point, Steilacoom, or Nisqually Reach.