South Sound Baitfish

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by John P, Jul 5, 2005.

1. John P

John P Member

Wondering if anyone else has noticed the baitfish schooling in Case Inlet. I counted a dozen separate schools in about a 1/2 mile area south of Dougal Point. The water conditions might have made viewing the surface activity easier but it seems like there are more this year than in the past. I also talked to someone who has noticed schooling baitfish fish in Toten Inlet.

John P.

2. tomc

tomc Member

John, I live on Hamersley Inlet and have noticed a lot more baitfish this year in comparison to previous years. I've been on the road a lot recently so I haven't been fishing as much as usual but, as I lay in bed I sure have heard the seals thrashing fish on a regular basis. So, using the frequency of seal thrashings a guide, I'd say the silvers are really in there. I'll tell you when I get back fron B.C. :beer2:
    Tom

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

The abundance of baitfish is why so many coho did not migrate out to the open ocean and remained in Puget Sound. This bodes well for autumn when the well-fed resident coho will probably weigh in at 4-5 pounds. This happens now and then.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson