Trip Report Southern Utah

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by ncflyfisher, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ncflyfisher

ncflyfisher Active Member

Figured I’d do a trip report for Southern Utah as I couldn’t find much info online, and hope this can help anyone who’s ever here. Most people are unaware of the fly fishing here, and as a result I did not see anyone else fishing. stayed in Hatch Utah, where a river called the Sevier River runs. Caught many small browns but could not find any big guys. This section of river is known for having Mostly browns, and a few rainbow/cutthroat. Talking to one local I found out the browns were just not biting good right now. I then went 45 miles north through circleville. About 3 miles out of town we went right on us 59, where there is 9 miles of public roadside stream. This is an irrigation river that is only fishable when the flows are turned down, usually through the fall and winter. There was lots of slow water and a few good runs, I fished between mile marker 6 and 9. I saw no rises and set up a dropper rig with a black wooly bugger and a pheasant tail nymph about 12 inches down. Nearly every good run boasted several good hits and usually a fish. In three hours I caught a dozen rainbows. Pheasant tail nymphs, hairs ears, and different colors of wooly buggers worked good. One run produced 3 fish over 14 inches. Bites would come on the dead drift and when it swung, causing the flies to rise. Hope this helps anyone who is ever around here! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Nice! I'm always on the lookout for good fly water in that area because I hike it every year

3. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

When we go back to Zion someday hopefully I can add a little fly fishing into the photography trip.

4. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Thanks for the report, great fish and epic scenery! It caught my eye as I spent my late teens and early 20's working with the National Park Service in Zion, well Kolob Canyons actually. Then I was a climber and this place was literal heaven. If you fish, please still explore the crazy scenic bits too, some amazing resources.
    South Fork of Taylor Cr, Kolob Canyons, Zion NP - 1988
    [​IMG]

Adam Saarinen and Jim Ficklin like this.
  5. ncflyfisher

ncflyfisher Active Member

Yeah, it’s a beautiful place. We got to do the angels landing and narrows hikes

Eyejuggler likes this.
  6. buckdur

buckdur Member

Angels landing...that's not for the faint of heart. Thanks for the report.

7. River Pig

River Pig Active Member

Home Page:
    I hiked it one day several years ago, then the next day it was closed so a jury could hike it. Supposedly they were trying to determine if someone who had fallen and died was pushed by their spouse. Yikes.