Spey Hackle

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Dave Westburg, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Just read a fascinating article in Art of Angling Journal on using Rhea feathers for spey hackles. Rheas are flightless birds from the ostrich family. The feather barbules are five inches long! The article mentioned that Siskiyou Aviary in Oregon (www.siskiyouaviary.com)sells Rhea feathers in a variety of colors. Before I start spending money I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with Rhea feathers or with siskiyouaviary.com

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Rhea has been very popular with steelhead fly tyers for years,It is used on flys like the intruder, and other large winter steelhead flies

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The answer to both your questions is an unqualified YES. Kate is one of the few 'CETA' (think I got the initials correctly) operations here in the United States. If you purchase 'rare/protected' bird feathers from her you will get the proper documentation to go with same. Kate's located here in Ashland, Oregon and I've been to here Aviary on several occasions .... you have NO IDEA how beautiful these birds are until you see one walking around.

Because of the quality of each and every feather shipped, be prepared to 'pay up.' The feathers are the kind you'd use for 'Presentation Level' flies.

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Once upon a time a very nice feklow named Dave Westburg sent me some beautiful tube flies tied with those Siskiyou Rhea feathers...

5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Someone has been digging thru the archives.:rofl: First post is from 10-25-2002. Weird part is the authors join date is 2003.:confused:

And I love the stuff. Waters West has some great feathers they dye themselves.

6. aldis

aldis New Member

I remember when I was like... 15 or so, they dropped it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Made for some seriously good fishing