Spey Nymphing Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mbrigano, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Less bullshit, more telling this guy how to nymph his spey rod.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Delta. If you're going to nymph keep it simple and effective. The delta is nice in particular because it mends beautifully. Pin a bead, throw some split shot on and watch the thingamabobber go down. Simple as that.

3. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

this is where switch rods really shine, combine that with any longbelly line that will throw junk and you're in business. Rio switch line works great for this and I've heard mostly good things about the speydicator as well. All that said, I nymph and swing with pretty much nothing but glass...and short glass (8' mostly this year) because that brings me the most amount of joy when I actually do hook a fish. so do what you want with whatever tools you want as long as it's legal and you respect the resource.

4. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

Dustin

As you see in my response, I was not attacking any method or set up you prefer. I was expressing my own opinions as to what I prefer to fish and what I have observed from fishing alternative ways. Correct me if I'm wrong but he purpose of this forum is to learn from others perspectives, experience, and knowledge of what they have learned to advance our own skills in the sport. A common theme I've noticed in this forum is that once someone makes note of what works for them or nearly voices their own opinions and philosophy of how they prefer to fish, others who do not do the same tend to go on rants and tirades and bash each other. I'm not going there. Tight lines.

5. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

6. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

Touché Randall

7. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    If you are used to swinging flies, why change?

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Because swinging flies isn't always the best way to cover a piece of water. Limiting yourself to one method gets very monotonous for some. Many of us, even those of us who prefer to swing flies over everything else, like a change once in a while.

9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

just help the guy or shh. spey clave is #1 e drama forum

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Swinging flies is also far less effective.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    In some cases it is. In others, I think it's the best way to go if you know the water.

12. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I'd argue that swinging flies is more effective in some water, typically the same type of wide expanses of tailout and boulder-studded flats favored by spoon fishermen. Indicator nymphing excels in the same water as float fishing - clearly defined pockets, slots, and depressions.

One covers water faster, the other is slower but allows the fly to spend more time 'in the zone'.

I gotta agree with Evan on this one. We all adapt our tackle and presentation to existing conditions = changing to a longer/heavier sinktip in an especially deep run or put on a larger fly if the water colors up. Moving to an indicator and nymph is just another step in that same direction.

I'm a swung fly junky by choice - by far my favorite method of flyfishing. Other methods (fly and gear) are used to meet a specific condition I encounter on the river, or just for the fun of mastering a new technique.

YMMV,

Brian

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Oh boy.
    If I wanted to catch fish strictly, I'd nymph a bead and outfish myself swinging 10/1. Of course there is water better suited to swinging, just as there is nymphing water that won't swing. The point is, if I set out to put up numbers I'd nymph exclusively. Having said that I rarely ever nymph.

14. Chedster

Chedster Member

I recently tried the Airflo speydicator on my switch rod and now I can't put it down to go back to swinging flies! I normally use spey casts to get it out and then mend away. Normally use 4-6ft of level 12lb UG to 1-2ft of 10lb tippet with the double surgeon knot. Add a split shot at the leader/tippet junction and a lowly glowly fly and your set.

15. TomB

TomB Active Member

Depends what criteria you use to define "best" Evan. If you prefer to swing flys (or given the fact that the swing is an umbrella for alot of presentations) you like to use your rod, the flyline and the fly to control your presentation (speed up, slow down, sink, add tension, remove tension etc) rather than lead weights, bobbers and all that BS, then why in the world would you switch to float fishing with your flyrod (nymphing)? This would certainly not be the best way to fish for someone who prefers to fish otherwise.