Spey Nymphing Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mbrigano, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    How about this for a new technique? Stop being a dick. Don't worry about what I do or anyone else, and fish your way. You're not helping the original poster or anyone else here, so practice restraint and don't post.

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

+1

3. TomB

TomB Active Member

I'm being a dick? You are the one that is trying to tell people that some technique is better than another. Nobody wants your opinion on that. You have decided certain ways of fishing are better than others according to some set of arbitrary circumstances you have defined and I was merely pointing out that not everyone sees the world of flyfishing through your expert-douche-in-chief eyes.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Eat a dick Tom, seriously

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa winter time. Certainly love can't wait until spring...........

You two need to get a room somewhere and figure out who is going to be on top.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    And as I recall, I said every technique had its time and place, You're the arrogant douchenozzle spouting SWING ONLY NYMPHING HARDWARE IS FOR PUSSIES.

7. TomB

TomB Active Member

Glad to know I am arguing with a child.

8. TomB

TomB Active Member

I didn't say that anywhere. I said for some people, nymphing is never "better" because they don't prefer that technique...you were the one trying to shove that technique down everyones' throat.

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

You're always a dick, Tom. Anytime I see your name on a post I know it going to be followed by some egotistical, critical, cynical BS. Trying posting something non- Narcissistic some time.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Agreed to the max.

This thread is to help someone learn a new technique, I've added my tips on how to do it since I have done it. If you want to criticize this technique, do it in your own thread. I'm by no means an authority on any topic, I'm just one of the few who would probably even admit to doing something as unthinkable as using a two handed rod to toss a nymph setup. It can be a fun way to fish in the right scenarios; not always the case, and not usually the case. Even though nymphing is not my preferred way to fish, I've had a blast doing it on many trips. No point in cutting it out of my toolbox.

11. TomB

TomB Active Member

Let's re-read what I wrote that provoked the mini temper-tantrum from Evan followed by a few eager beavers piling on:

"Depends what criteria you use to define "best" Evan. If you prefer to swing flys (or given the fact that the swing is an umbrella for alot of presentations) you like to use your rod, the flyline and the fly to control your presentation (speed up, slow down, sink, add tension, remove tension etc) rather than lead weights, bobbers and all that BS, then why in the world would you switch to float fishing with your flyrod (nymphing)? This would certainly not be the best way to fish for someone who prefers to fish otherwise."

How is that egotistical,critical, or cynical, or douchey? I literally point out that defining an angling technique, ANY angling technique, as "best" is subjective. Evan stated that under some conditions, nymphing is best, and I basically made an argument to illustrate why that statement was subjective. Notice that I did not say anywhere that swinging was globally the best technique. I instead illustrated how the best technique is the one preferred. Why all the attacks for trying to keep people's minds open that they don't need to swallow, hook line and sinker, the notion that only one technique is appropriate or best under various circumstances. If anything you all are the narcissists for thinking folks should subscribe to your narrowly-defined ruleset for how to fish.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Replace "BEST" with "most enjoyable," "most effective," or anything else you wish. There was no authority meant behind my use of this word. It was meant to be interchangeable and open to interpretation.

13. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Hey guys is there anyway you can take this offline? Perhapse a PM or such. This was a pretty good thread till the bitch fest started.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    My apologies for my blowing up. I have anger management issues coupled with a thinning patience with criticizing how people fish. Pair that with some misreading, misinterpreting, and all that on all accounts and you get your typical internet bitch fest.

15. TomB

TomB Active Member

my bad as well john. easy to get carried away with the back and forth over the web.