Spey quivers

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by MNguyendc, Nov 8, 2017.

1. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

This is great advice for areas I fish. However, I would substitute a trout spey in a 3,4 or 5 wt. rod for the "toy spey" and my short spey rod is a 7wt. instead of an 8wt but I don't fish for chums. I would seriously look at the Loop Evotech while they can be had for such a low price. I really like the composite handle and the shape... some are put off by it, but I really like it. My 9140 has become my favorite rod for anadromous fish on the Columbia and Clearwater ---it is incredibly easy to cast a lot of line (both Scandi and Skagit) with little to almost no effort.

2. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I think that more can be said about rod length: what it's for, and how unimportant specific stops can be. Spey fishing presents two questions of length: "Is my rod short enough for here?" and "Is my rod long enough for here?" From the longest to the shortest, spey rods have tremendous overlap in situations they can handle. A switch rod can cast to 80 feet, give or take, which is a long cast almost everywhere. Back when I was casting bank to bank on the Firehole River, I twigged that many of our most important trout streams are small enough to cover with an eight foot fiberglass rod. Likewise, there are salmon and steelhead in a lot of smallish rivers - or, in high, turbid currents, holding in the nearside edges, and reachable by almost any tackle.

Thirteen feet isn't a rule of spey fishing (although there may be more spey rods of that length sold these days than any other). Rods from about 11 feet to 13 1/2 feet work in most situations, are no strain on anyone, and that's why tons of them are bought and used.

Opportunities to swing for the bleachers are less common, but come up frequently. And casting far is so satisfying, visually and tactaly, that we seek them out. Spey rods for this start around 13' 9" and go to as long as you can operate in some comfort for several hours.

MNguyendc likes this.
  3. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I have to say for my first spey rod, you should start with a 12'+ longer spey rod for learning how to cast properly. I had a hard time learning when I picked up a switch rod (10') as my first rod and tried to learn with 25' skagit head + 10' tip. My instructor moved me into a 14' 8wt rod and I learned quickly. As soon as I mastered 14' rod I then learned to cast a switch rod.

Look at these affordable rods: Redington Dually Spey or the now discontinued G Loomis Pro 4X at half price or the affordable Gary Anderson Custom Rods..

I love my switch rods - especially the lightweight 4 and 5wt trout speys because I can cast overhead like a SH if needed. Plus 4 and 5wt are equivalent to a 6 or 7wt SH rod...

It's also nice to cast 100' of line out with my 4wt, 5wt, 7wt switch rods.

MNguyendc likes this.
  4. MNguyendc

MNguyendc Member

I think I will end up with the imx pro 7 11'11" for winter and summer. Close enough to 12'. I tried my cousins 11' tfo deer creek. Really liked it but felt short. I enjoy fighting fish on a shorter rod so I'm hoping the 11'11" will be a compromise from the 13' and short 11'.

5. fivefish

fivefish Active Member

I have a 7wt Dually and 8wt Chromer from Redington. I prefer the Chromer, but both are good rods for that price point.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    4sallypat likes this.
  6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Echo swing

Can't beat the customer service or warranty