Spey Reel/Line for St. Croix 14' 9/10

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by dv, Dec 5, 2002.

1. dv

dv Guest

OK,

I'm going to take the spey plunge, I just need a little more advice from the experts.

I've pretty much settled on the St. Croix 14010 based on a lot of active reading and trying keep the dent in my pocketbook down as much as I can.

I want to start doing westside steelhead fishing. I live in the Snohomish area but have spent the past year hiking over the hills to the Yak trying to get better at one-handed. I did OK, but I want to have some options closer to home. I went to the Spey meeting last week in Carnation and I was fascinated by the Spey.

So, can folks suggest a reel/line combination for this rod that will not set me back too much?

Thanks. And be nice. :) I'm new and this is my first post. But hey, I did do some research on my own to select this rod before I bothered you all with this line/reel question.

dv

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

Well St Croix has a reel that will match up to that rod. But it costs a little bit $210.00. And as your a beginner a wind cutter line would probably do the trick.They run about $65.00. But before you go out and develop any bad habits I would take a class in the Basics of spey casting. I've watched videos on this thing,I've watched other people,and I've tried my self and I'm not to happy with the results.

I was toying with the same Idea that got you started But I find that my health and sanity are much more important than having a spey rod. I was even going cheaper that you.It's amazing what you can find out by searching the web. Cheaper lines, cheaper reels.

Jim

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

You might look into a Cortland Magnum 200. Around a 100 bucks and will hold a spey line and plenty of backing. The drag might be suspect but to tell the truth I used to use one and I have landed some good size steelhead with it. Matter of fact if you want it I will sell you my old one. Drop me an email if interested.

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Teton Tioga 12(standard) for both my St. Croix and Sage for a 10 wt and 11 wt respectively. For line I run the Rio Windcutter on the Croix and Airflo multi tip for the Sage.

Avid has the Tioga 12 for $170 and I just saw this the other day for spey line.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/bargains/bargains-home/close-outs.html

Hope it helps.

Matt

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

What are you doing home today?

Jim

6. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Now that you have picked a rod you want a reel.
    I recommend that you have a reel with plenty of capacity.
    Now comes the hard part.
    The Line.
    This is the one factor that makes most casters fail.
    The weakest link in the chain so to speak.
    There are three basic types of Speylines,
    Short, (Skagit style head 54ft or less head)
    Medium Heads (Traditional 65 to 80 ft head) and Longlines (double tapers and the new long belly lines 95ft to 120 ft).
    Not all rods are designed to cast all three lines and styles of casting.
    Oh! Have I added some new fly in the ointment?
    Casting styles
    Skagit, Traditional, and Longlines these are what I call them they kind of match the line styles.
    Figure out what style of casting you are interested in and them go test cast some lines to find one, which fits your casting style.
    Now that you have your line reel and casting style your ready to go right.
    You just have to learn how to cast.
    This is the first thing that I recommend. I have led you down the garden path because this is the way most people choose to go.
    They will choose a rod, reel, and line and even a casting style and think they can teach them selves how to cast. This is the futurist thing from the truth.
    I tell every one to find an instructor or if you are really lucky a mentor.
    If you do one thing do not buy a rod before you learn to cast. Many people will change their minds part way through a school as to what they want in a rod.
    Some even my decide that they do not want to learn to cast with double handed rod and want to stick it out with a single handed rod.
    The Speycast is a repositioning of line to make a limited backcast dynamic roll cast. (Lot of cast in that sentence but that is only way I know to say it)
    If you have any questions please e-mail me at speybum@speyshop.com
    Thanks for you support
    Speybum

:pROFESSOR