Spey Reels $500.00-$600.00

I run an 8/9 on both a 13'4" 7wt and an 11'6" 9wt. I think either an 8/9 or 10/11 would work on your rod depending on your balance point and hand placement preferences. You may want to do some trials with different weights (other reels, bags of coins) fixed to your reel seat to see which one you want.

dogsnfish

I see several choices for around 500.00-600.00. My rod is a SAGE 8136 4 SLT

Which would be the BEST reel for the price? I have come across the Bauer CFX 6 $455.00 Islander has one out for $500.00 and Abel Spey. Nautilus has one out for $525.00 CCF 12.

How about kicking down another $200.00 anyone a fan of Tibor Spey reels or are Nautilus the Best.

Thanks, Robert
Give Poppy a call at the Red Shed. He has many brands and common sense and would not steer you wrong.

I highly recommend the Solitude 5.
I picked up one from Ed Megill last fall for my z-axis 8wt 13'6" spey and it's amazing reel. Huge line capacity, super smooth drag, bullet proof and classic design. Plus it's made in Anacortes Washington.

Josh

dead in the water
I highly recommend the Solitude 5.
I picked up one from Ed Megill last fall for my z-axis 8wt 13'6" spey and it's amazing reel. Huge line capacity, super smooth drag, bullet proof and classic design. Plus it's made in Anacortes Washington.
I was going to point out the Solitude reels as well. Locally made (more towards Mt Vernon than Anacortes) and high quality.

[quote="Brady Burmeister, post: 815617, member: 14236" I think either an 8/9 or 10/11 would work on your rod depending on your balance point and hand placement preferences. You may want to do some trials with different weights (other reels, bags of coins) fixed to your reel seat to see which one you want.[/quote]
The weight difference between the 8/9 and 10/11 is minimal (12oz. vs 12.3/4 oz.) but I believe the line/backing capacity difference is significant .