Spey rod deal... or not?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by SteelieD, Jan 24, 2008.

1. socalsalt

socalsalt Banned or Parked

Why dont you go and march right up to Simon Gawesworth's face and tell him HE wasted his money on HIS rs3?!?!??!! THEN TELL HIM HIS FAVORITE ROD IS POORLY DESIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bought the Redington rod you mentioned in 13' for my girlfriend. I was really suprised with the quality of the components and the castability.

IMO it's a great value and a great way to get into speycasting.

Brian

3. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Socal,
    This isn't southern cali. We like to chill a bit in these parts, sit back, have a smoke, and be happy. Its all good man.

4. SSPey

SSPey Member

all the RS3 speys are well worth their original $350 price, and are a steal at discount. I've been fishing the 7133 for a few years now. Bought it secondhand as a backup, and somehow it migrated to become one of my "go-to" rods. Scando 475-500 gr, skagit 550-580 + tips, short heads 520-570 grains, midbellies 550-600 grains. It gets finicky with mid / long lines, but otherwise handles quite capably. My favorite is an SA short 7/8 for waking flies on my favorite summer river

5. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

yes - these rods rock...

6. Eastside

Eastside Guest

I also bought the 14 foot 8 weight in Post Falls - couldn't pass it up. I normally fish the Sage 6126 with a floating line, but thought this would be a good "big water" rod and for throwing sink tips. Anyone have a good line recommendation - either Rio or Airflo multi tips or a Skagit system?

7. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

I've never tried it, but I would be willing to bet that Airflo Delta 8/9 would be sweet on that rod.

Try PM'ing Evan Burk, I think he has that rod and can probably help. I casted his with his some sort of Skagit set up on it and it did pretty well, but it was 20F and snowing so the line was freezing to the guides with every cast and it wouldn't shoot the line so I gave it right back to him.

Christian

8. LD

LD Active Member

See the "line recommendation" post. Got the recommendation the Red Shed.

9. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

Windcutter 8/9/10
    Skagit 550 with 5 foot cheater (could go 600 or or 650 w/o cheater if that's yer thing)